Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Blackheath 45 - Blaydon 22
Your News Blackheath 45 - Blaydon 22

Blaydon played a full part in this entertaining clash with in-form Blackheath who with a slight edge in the backs deservedly made it an 8th consecutive league victory.

Fielding an experimental side due to a number of absentees, notably regular goal kicker Andrew Baggett, Blaydon were in contention for much of the game and leading 12-17 when disaster struck with the sin-binning of influential No8 Gavin Jones, the home side taking full advantage.

Blackheath had it all their own way at the start, grabbing a 6th minute lead when Trueman Sullivan emerged from a rolling maul to crash over and fly-half Sam Windsor added the points. The dust had scarcely settled from that setback when young Tim Canty the home full-back joined the line to sprint clear from his own half to scythe through the Blaydon defence for a second score.

Blaydon weathered the storm however and by quarter time had began the fight back that produced 3 tries in a 10 minute spell. Charles Inceldon made the incisive break leading to the first, with the ball passing through many hands and Chris Wearmouth just held up, but second row Robert Bell stormed over from the line-out.

Scrum-half Andrew Davies finished off a move started by Jones and taken on by Keith Laughlin and David Sheldon, and then David Watchorn put Blaydon in front from close range with Phili Stewart adding the conversion.

The lead proved to be short lived with Blackheath hitting back with a good effort by centre Richard Windsor and converted by his brother Sam, and then came the crucial yellow card.

Up against a depleted pack the home side piled on the pressure and leading try scorer Dave Allen got his 22nd and 23rd of the season three minutes before the interval and three minutes after. Ironically both efforts were from a penalty to the corner followed by a rolling maul - a Blaydon trademark.

Sensing victory Blackheath were now dominant but winger Jim Stephson was somewhat fortunate not to be recalled for collecting a forward pass when adding try No6, again improved by Windsor to make it 38-17.

Blaydon responded with an excellant touchdown by their leading try scorer Fraser Wilson after replacement centre Matt Clark, playing his first game since returning from injury, had spreadeagled the Blackheath defence but fittingly the home side had the last word when Sam Windsor finished off an interception move and then added the conversion.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching