Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Blaydon 25 - Tynedale 19
Your News Blaydon 25 - Tynedale 19

Derby games between these two sides are invariably close encounters, and with almost identical playing records this season it was no surprise that at the end of yesterday's clash at Crow Trees there was only 6 points between them.

Blaydon rattled in 3 tries in the first half and had much the better of it up front, but led only 22-16 at the break and by the end were grimly hanging on to defend a narrow advantage. Team manager Jim Huxley said afterwards " When we went upfield our forwards made it count but we then let them back into our half, we didn't do ourselves justice in the second half" adding "The result shows just how close it is between the sides, but in the end Blaydon deserved to win".

The home side could and should have made more of their massive advantage in the set pieces but managed to infringe at regular intervals throughout the game starting as early as the second minute when Tynedale fly-half Gavin Beasley landed the points. Andrew Baggett was soon to level before Blaydon gave fair warning of their intentions in the forwards,

Awarded a kickable penalty they opted to kick for position in the corner. It almost backfired for them when Tynedale were given the put in at the scrum from the line-out but Blaydon pushed them off the ball and flanker Robert Bell was over in a flash for the opening try.

Against the run of play the visitors hit back when they charged down a clearance for winger Matt Horricks to gather in and race clear, Beasley converting, but Blaydon were back in front when they spurned another penalty opportunity. This time they moved it twice from the line-out, Matt Thompson had a dart and then Keith Laughlin shot over under the posts.

Baggett added the conversion but Beasley capitalised on 2 more infringements to make it 15-16. Right on the interval Blaydon grabbed their 3rd try through Ben Morris, inevitably from a penalty to the corner, to give them a comfortable lead at the break.

Disappointingly the second period was very much an anti-climax with Blaydon adding only another Baggett penalty and Tynedale slowly but surely coming more into it. With time running out they piled on the pressure in the home 22 where Blaydon became more and more ragged culminating in a yellow card for No8 Gavin Jones.

Unable to find a way through however Tynedale chose to kick a penalty from the 22 and Joel Hodgson made no mistake to give his side the consolation of a losing bonus point.

In the end probably a fair result, Blaydon had stopped the rot of 3 successive derby defeats, and as Huxley put it "I felt both sides were out on their feet at the end - it was a good competition between the sides".

BLAYDON: Embleton, Sheldon, McShane, Inceldon (O'Brien 39), Wilson, Baggett, Davies (Charlton 68), McLaughlin-Quinn (Kalbraier 48), Thompson (Hall 48), Ward, Vinnicombe (Wearmouth 52), Laughlin, Morris, Bell, Jones

TYNEDALE: Harris, Horricks, Bramwell (Robinson 60), Outson, Smales, Gavin Beasley(Cousin 57), Hodgson, Harrison, Ridley (Dickinson 68), Westgarth, Andrew Murray, Dunn, Johnson, Grant Beasley, Alistair Murray (Scott 68)

Pens conceded 15-9

LO won 9-5

LO lost 1-3

Scrums won 9-4

Scrums lost 1-2

Sin bins 1-0

Attendance: 652

Star Man - Ben Morris - Blaydon

Referee: Darren Gamage


Tries: Bell 8, Laughlin 29, Morris 40

Conversions: Baggett 29, 40

Penalties: Baggett 3, 48


Try: Horricks 18

Conversion: Gavin Beasley

Penalties: Gavin Beasley 2, 32, 36 Hodgson 80 + 2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching