Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Newquay Hornets hot in sunshine
Your News Newquay Hornets hot in sunshine

Newquay Hornets travelled to Lankelly/Fowey on Sunday to play in bright spring sunshine. Despite some players being absent with other commitments they still managed to assemble a squad twice the size of the hosts. Sol Hawkins set out the Newquay stall early on, powering through the middle before finally being held but Ewan Gilroy -Simpson was on hand to pick up from the resulting ruck, going round on the blindside to open the scoring. The early pressure continued, Eddie Pearce making an excellent tackle as Lankelly sought to break from defence with the ball rolling free for Ethan Morgan to pick up and run on to extend the lead. Lankelly pulled one back as Newquay were caught napping at the re-start. However moments later a penalty to Newquay saw forward Jack Higginson brush aside the Lankelly defence to re-establish the ten point gap with Ewan quickly following up with his second before the half time whistle. Lankelly caught Newquay asleep at the restart running through to pull one back but it was to be the last time they crossed the Newquay line.

The Hornets launched a sustained period of pressure. Newquay debutant Robert Evans showed strength and a good turn of speed, ploughing forward before passing the ball out to Ethan Morgan who crossed to the left hand side to score in the corner. Newquay were now dominating the match and whilst the usual suspects all made good runs it was Robert who caught the eye as he once more brushed aside a Lankelly defender before running on down the right to lengthen the lead. Eddie Pearce got reward for his usual hard work. As Lankelly fumbled the ball at the re-start he showed good presence of mind, rushing through to steal the ball and race away to score. Total dominance was confirmed in the final minute. Lankelly failed to hold the ball thrown in from their own line out and as Newquay moved the ball infield they pushed through the defence en mass with Ethan getting the final hand on the grounded ball to seal the victory 40 -10.

A second 5 minutes each way game sought to give the larger Newquay squad some more game time and it was to see them further underline the difference between the two teams. Perran Heamen made a characteristic drive over to open the scoring and he was involved again as he forced his way through the despairing clutches of the Lankelly defence ably supported by Robert Evans who grounded the ball to to crown a fine performance. Sol Hawkins once more made a strong run through the middle and when tackled Ethan was on hand picking up the ball to run on and confirm a second win 15-0.

Player of the Match: Robert Evans - a great debut.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching