Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Guisborough 11 - Gosforth 5
Your News Guisborough 11 - Gosforth 5

TEAM NEWS AND CRAIC; Little change to last week's selection in the forwards, apart from Dan Farquhar starting at No8. Fortunately, props Joe Woodhams and Chris Morris are staying fit and healthy. Mark Anderson, is still recovering from his ankle injury, so Ben Debnam slotted in at flyhalf, with coach Adam Falkner at scrumhalf. Andy Ushaw was joined by Matt Marshall in the centre with Tom Jones on one wing and newcomer to the 1st XV Daniel Bomken on the other. Gordon Johnston moved back to fullback. The bench was again remarkably strong with Dan Tucker, Graham Hall and Peter Hall all used during the course of the afternoon. Your scribe used his senior citizen concessionary bus pass, and enjoyed a free of charge and trouble free jaunt to and from Guisborough. Apologies for my absence next week, when the scribe will be Mal Stokoe.

THE MATCH; mizzle and cloudy weather gave way to sunshine when Gosforth's Ben Debnam kicked off at 3pm. Unfortunately Guisborough's centre, James Clark caught Gosforth's defence cold and ghosted through for an early try, and a 5-0 lead, because the conversion kick attempt was charged down.

Gosforth responded by putting some pressure on Guisborough, but could not cross their line. With 20 minutes on the clock the weather changed dramatically, a strong chilly wind sprung up bringing with it sleet and hail. Guisborough attacked strongly, but a cracking tackle by full back Gordon Johnston epitomised the visitor's defensive commitment. Flanker Adam Bell was also in the thick of the action, but a successful 30 metre penalty kick by Guisborough's flyhalf Louis Hagan increased their lead to 8-0. The home side's defence held firm as Gosforth went searching for points, and the half ended with the score at 8-0 in Guisborough's favour.

The sun broke through as the home side got the secondhalf underway, Gosforth made some good attacking moves but could not breach Guisborough's defence. After 10 minutes Hagan popped over another penalty from over 30 metres to increase the home side's lead to 11-0. Gosforth's forward effort earned a penalty, but the kick was unsuccessful. Personnel changes, Dan Tucker, Peter Hall and Graham Hall taking to the field of play seemed to galvanise Gosforth, leading to a try from young centre Matt Marshall, who followed up a kick ahead to score an excellent opportunist try. At 11-5 down with 15 minutes remaining Gosforth were competing well, but Guisborough threatened on occasions testing the visitor's defence. Hagan missed with a late penalty attempt, so, at least Gosforth were not deprived of a deserved losing bonus point, as the match finished with the sun shining out of a blue sky and the air still.

Next week we welcome Ryton to Druid Park, and we need to reflect upon the fact that they held their winning visitors Horden to 14-10 this week.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching