Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Pershore 19 - Berkswell & Balsall 18
Your News Pershore 19 - Berkswell & Balsall 18

Pershore claim first victory of 2012 in remarkable comeback

Piddle Park was the venue of a remarkable come back on Saturday

afternoon. In glorious sunshine Pershore entertained Berkswell &

Balsall, and it was the visitors who started the stronger, racing in to

a 10-0 lead within the first quarter of an hour. Pershore did manage to

keep hold of the ball for long periods but failed to get close enough to

threaten the visitors defence. The B's dominated the scrum in the first

half but came out second best at the lineout with brothers Luke & Josh

Hardiman giving Pershore plenty of possession.

The second half started much the same way as the first with Berkswell

scoring an unvonverted try and a penalty to extend thier lead to 18-0.

Pershore then rang the changes, bringing on Karl Evans at prop, Steve

Holmes at Flanker and Stefan Ellis on the wing. Pershores scrum

benefitted immediately and the home backs started to enjoy some quality

possession with Richard Baker making a number of breaks in the centre.

AJ Hanson, who had moved to scrum half made some sniping breaks after

being awarded a penalty and the visitors second row was sin binned for

not retreating. Pershore took advantage through their dogged forwards

who won a penalty within 20 yards of the line. Evans took the ball on

and Hope barged his way over under the posts. Cyphus converted. A few

minutes later Luke Hardiman had a try disallowed but Steve Holmes made

up for the disappointment with an unconverted try.

With just over 10 minutes left Pershore were reduced to 14 when Carl

Redman was sin binned. However this did not affect Pershore at all as

the back three of Alex Hanson, Ellis and Ashley White continued to

attack from deep, getting Pershore away from danger. With just a few

minutes left the home side were awarded a penalty 10 metres from the B's

line. Evans again took the ball on and Hope again finished the move by

crossing the whitewash. Under pressure, Matt Cyphus kept his nerve as he

slotted over the conversion to put Pershore into the lead.

The home side we in for a nerve wracking last minute. With possession

secured in the middle of the park all Pershore needed was to keep the

ball and run the clock down, however AJ Hanson kicked the ball away and

the Berkswell winger set up a counter attack. As the approached the 22

Pershore gave away a penalty. Berkswell had the opportunity to regain

the lead and win the game at the death but to the great relief of the

home support the kick sailed wide and Pershore clung on to win 19-18.

They will next week entertain in form Droitwich in a local derby at

Piddle Park

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching