Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Exeter Chiefs 36 - Pertemps Bees 0
Your News Exeter Chiefs 36 - Pertemps Bees 0

The Chiefs welcomed bottom of the table Pertemps Bees to Sandy Park as they attempted to regain momentum in their league campaign following the recent defeat to Newbury. This was achieved with comfort, but perhaps the Chiefs could have played in a more expansive manner on what turned out to be a sunny, but brisk, spring afternoon. Nevertheless ,the victory was the most important thing, and the Chiefs fans left satisfied having witnessed another dominant performance from their team.

The early stages of the game seemed to lack some dynamism from both sides and contributed to a scrappy start. Despite this, it did not take long for the Chiefs to get onto the scoreboard. A bustling run from Junior Fatialofa created an infringement that gave Gary Kingdom, celebrating his 100th league appearance for the club, the simple of task of converting from in front of the posts to open the scoring.

With Chiefs attacking patterns not quite functioning, it required an excellent individual try from Danny Gray to extend the Chiefs lead. A scrum on the halfway line created the platform for the ball to be moved to Gray, who despite being caught in midfield, was able to wriggle from the grasp of two potential tacklers, maintain his footing and sprint to the line. Kingdom added the extras without problem.

The pattern of the first half was one of good ball retention by the Bees without ever really threatening the Chiefs defensive structure, whereas the Chiefs appeared to possess the incisiveness to score points but regular errors meant they were unable able to exploit this obvious advantage.

An example of this occurred in the 31st minute when a strong break and skilful offload from captain Richie Baxter nearly created an excellent try for the Chiefs. The ball fell into the hands of Shane Kingsland who moved it swiftly onto Kevin Barrett. Barrett looked likely to reach the line as the cover defence came across. However, he opted to offload to James Hanks; a pass which was unfortunately adjudged to be forward by the referee.

The half ended with a flurry of action. The first evidence of real Bees penetration came in the 39th minute, when an accurate wide move led to the ball being grubbered along the ground into the Chiefs dead ball area. The Bees won the foot race but in the process of grounding the ball, it was knocked over the dead ball line. From the resulting five-metre scrum, Chiefs bravely opted to run the ball out of their 22 with Junior Fatiolofa making excellent ground before offloading to Josh Drauniniu, who just did not have the space to get away from the cover defence.

If the Chiefs were given a half-time message to increase the intensity, then its effect was evident in the early exchanges of the second period. Pressure directly from the kick-off led to a Bees mistake that created an opportunity for the Chiefs in the form of a lineout five metres from the Bees line. The first effort at the catch and drive looked to have potential but was stopped only by virtue of an offside infringement. Inevitably, the Chiefs kicked back into the corner and made no mistake with the second attempt with Sam Blythe blasting over to extend the lead. Kingdom could not covert from out wide and the score remained at15-0 to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs dominance in the forwards was beginning to bear fruit, as strong carrying and good decision-making created another try, this time for Wade Kelly in the 52nd minute. Several dangerous pick and drives from the base of the ruck had forced the Bees defence to focus in on the breakdown allowing, as the ball was moved into the hands of the backs, Kelly to burst through a wide open gap and score under the posts.

Chiefs now looked comfortable and able to score at will, in the face of a tiring yet determined Bees defence. The most elegant try of the game was scored just before the hour mark. A ball off the top of the lineout was moved into the hands of man of the match Baxter, who flicked the ball inside to Jason Luff, who was rewarded for hitting the gain line at speed by flying untouched to the tryline. Things were to get better for Luff, as less than a minute later a long kick into Bees territory was missed by the winger and then fumbled by the full-back to allow Luff a most fortuitous try. Both were converted by Kingdom, pushing Chiefs into a 36-0 lead.

The last quarter saw the Bees maintain possession skillfully, moving the ball across the park quickly. Maybe their attack was slightly lateral in nature, but they certainly deserved some points from what was a promising attacking performance throughout the game. Chiefs could not score again, and it is this defensive solidarity that will probably decide whether the Bees are able to stay in this division.


Exeter Chiefs Kingdom; Luff, J Fatialofa, Kelly, Drauniniu; Gray (M Fatialofa 58mins), Barrett (Stuart-Smith 58mins); Kingsland (Bennett 64mins), Blythe (Nelson 53mins), Dunlea (Horn-Smith 64mins), Bentley, Hanks (Stevenson 58mins), Johnson (Slade 40mins), Miller, Baxter (capt).

Pertemps Bees Spee; Odouza, Grove (Not sure 54mins), D Knight (Not sure 73mins), Mitchell; Higgins, P Knight (Griffiths 73mins); Reddlinghuys (Long 49mins), Pearl (Bick 75mins), Bucknall, Davidson (Gabey 47mins), Kazombiaze, Matthews (Preece 62mins) Earnshaw (capt), McComb.


Exeter Chiefs Tries: Gray, Dunlea, Kelly, Luff (2); Cons: Kingdom (4); Pens: Kingdom



join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching