Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hornets rout Helston
Your News Hornets rout Helston

With bright sunshine one minute followed by a heavy shower the next it was mixed weather which greeted the Hornets in Helston on Sunday, but they certainly didn't let it dampen their spirits. Ewan Gilroy-Simpson opened the scoring almost from the first attack of the game as Helston were caught napping at the start, allowing him to run through unimpeded. Helston countered well though stealing the ball in a ruck before going over to level. Finn Collins was to do exceptionally well to hold on to a high pass out to him on the right wing and showed a good turn of pace to go over and re-establish the Hornets advantage. Another attack saw Ben Hunt pushed into touch on the left following some good support play which saw Eddie Pearce and Perran Heamen both make good ground through the middle. Jack Higginson narrowly missed going over as the Helston defence intercepted him on the line and a subsequent knock on allowed them to recover the ball from the scrum. Ben Henwood was to make a last gasp try saving tackle as he pursued and caught a Helston player breaking from defence down the wing.

Helston's forwards were proving to be strong in the scrum and having won one close in to the Hornets line the scrum half jinked through to level the score. The second half saw Hornets awarded a penalty from which Eddie was to weave his way through the centre before releasing Sol Hawkins who showed his usual strength and determination to force his way over on the left. Newquay now had the bit between their teeth and the greater pace they possessed in the backs began to tell with Ewan and Eddie both adding to the Newquay score. Sol linked well with Arthur Bygrave who made good progress before being tackled, but Newquay won the battle in the ruck and Sol was to pick up once more to add to his tally. Some slick passing was to see Ben Hunt only denied at the last as he was pushed into touch as he was about to cross over on the left. Helston broke from defence from the resulting line out but a scrum in the Newquay half was to see Arthur pick up the ball as it emerged and he was to drive through to seal an emphatic win for the Hornets 35-10.

The second game was to see Helston apply early pressure as they went all out to level the honours on the day. Their forwards now made good use of their size and weight advantage and the first scrum in Newquays half was to see them win it before going over to score on the left hand side. Lewis Hollings tried to level things immediately from the restart but although he made some ground up on the wing he was pushed into touch. Moments later Newquay won a scrum from which Ben Hunt darted through before showing good presence of mind as he was tackled to get the pass away to his namesake Ben Henwood who went through to level the score. Helston came back at them and Newquay were to work well first in stealing the ball from Helston in the ruck and then breaking away with Ben Hunt putting Newquay in front. Helston levelled once more before Ewan drove straight through from the restart to re-establish the Hornets slim lead. Good support play moments later saw Lewis Hollings break from defence with Ewan in support and although tackled the Hornets rucked over with the ever aware Ben Hunt picking up and strengthening the lead.

The second half saw Ethan Gill make an excellent surging run which nearly carried him through the whole Helston defence before he was eventually grappled to the ground.

However Helston were to pull one back before he got his just reward as Arthur made a good run before passing to Ethan who scored in the corner. Helston replied with another score of their own and applied pressure as the game drew to a close, earning a penalty from which they forced their way through the desperate Newquay defence to earn the draw 25-25.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching