Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South West U18's lose to London & South East in final Divisional Festival match at Broadstreet
Your News South West U18's lose to London & South East in final Divisional Festival match at Broadstreet

An error strewn performance from the South West U18 side saw them crash 36-12 at the hands of the London & South East Division in their second and final match of the RFUs 2012 National Divisional U18 Festival at Broadstreet RFC, Coventry, last Sunday (Feb.19th).

The South West went behind in the opening minute of the match and, at one stage, trailed 31-5 before grabbing their second try.

It was a very entertaining game with both sides throwing the ball around, but London has sussed that we had lost both our regular wingers, summed up team manager Dave Penberthy. Overall it was a solid team effort and they kept playing until the end, but, I think, the boys found it tough with just a days rest in between their two games.

The South Wests cause certainly wasnt helped when potential England U20 wing Linford Brock was forced to pull out just prior to kick-off because of worries about his hamstring.

And they made the worst possible start when London wing Chris Lord exposed the South Wests blind-side to run in a try from the kick-off.

It went unconverted as did South West fly half Tiff Edens penalty kick opportunity just minutes later.

But, from No.8 Tom Lawdays pick-up from the base of a scrum, the South West swung the ball through the phases and, with a lovely outside break, centre Henry Purdey touched down for an unconverted try to level the scores.

From the restart, however, the South West spilled the ball and it was London flanker Gabriel Carroll who finished off the resulting movement which, this time, fly half Joe Tarrant made no mistake converting.

And they increased their lead on 26 minutes when flanker Shaqr Meyers crashed over for Tarrant to again embellish with the conversion and put his side 19-5 ahead and which remained that way until half-time.

Immediately from the restart London full back James Clemence raced over to stretch the London & South East lead to 24-5 and, on 54 minutes, they were further in front after Meyers grabbed his second try that was, once again, converted by Tarrant.

At least the South Wests response was rapid when, three minutes later, replacement Henry Taylor burst off the base of a ruck and dummied his way through the London defence for the South Wests second try, converted by Eden.

London, however, had the final say when Lord grabbed his second touchdown of the afternoon to top-and-tail his teams scoring.

South West U18 Division - Tom Bellack (Somerset); Sam Hanks (Somerset), Henry Purdey (Oxon), Dylan Teasdale (Oxon), Peter Moore (Oxon); Tiff Eden (Gloucs), Ed Hoadley (Berks); Tom White (Devon), Jamie Tolan (Berks), Charlie Pounds (Dorset&Wilts); Adam Peters (Bucks), Joe Joyce (Somerset); Will Taverner (Devon), Neil Broadbank (Cornwall), Tom Lawday (Dorset & Wilts).Reps: Max Folkard (Dorset&Wilts), Josh Sargent (Devon), Dan Keat (Dorset&Wilts); Elliott Moss (Bucks); Will Eversfield (Berks), Henry Taylor (Bucks).

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching