Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Tough encounter and mixed results for Newquay
Your News Tough encounter and mixed results for Newquay

Newquay entertained Launceston at the Sports centre on sunday. Despite the sunny weather Newquay appeared to be still asleep as Launceston started the game, a Launceston forward taking full advantage as he ran straight through a lethargic defence to open the scoring. It was the wake up call Newquay needed and as vocal parents shouted from the sidelines they responded quickly with Ewan Gilroy-Simpson barging through on the re-start to level the scores. Errors from both sides saw the ball knocked-on numerous times as both sides sought to find a rhythm to their play. A scrum following such saw Newquay win it against a Launceston put in with Ben Hunt making good ground before the ball was fed to Finn Collins who switched play wide to the right before the ball came back across to the left for Eddie Pearce to run through to put the Hornets in front. Launceston however came back strongly,their large well drilled forwards surging forward, only a knock on in the build up seeing a try disallowed. Neither team was able to gain the upper hand as penalties were awarded continually for handling the ball in the ruck. Newquay started the second half determined to build on their slender advantage and Eddie Pearce broke clear on the left wing to run through and strengthen the lead. Launceston however were unbowed and a sustained period of pressure followed with Newquay on the back foot deep in their own half as they struggled to break out of defence. A penalty to Launceston for a high tackle was followed by some excellent rucking as Launceston surged forward. The pressure paid off as Newquay were caught on their own try line, a quick thinking Launceston player wrestling the ball from a pair of despairing Newquay hands before diving over to put them back in contention. Newquay attacked once more with Ethan Reed working hard to make a headway through the middle, before a Newquay scrum saw a quick thinking Ewan spot a gap on the blindside and push through to score in the corner. Final score 20 -10 (Player of the Match: Ethan Reed).

The second game proved to more one sided despite the usual spirited performance from all of the Newquay team, Launceston's considerably larger forwards were to prove too much of a handful for the more diminutive Hornets. Well drilled and physical they dominated the scrum and line outs. It was from one such scrum close to the Newquay line that their scrum half picked up and darted through to take them into the lead. Launceston extended their lead as they won a line out against the Newquay put in and went through the defence to score. In reply Newquay made some strong running of their own with Evan Pender making some forays down the wing and Sam Dobbs forced his way over at one point only to be held up and denied the try. Launceston started to dominate having gained confidence from their early scores. Excellent support play in the ruck and maul continued to be a feature of their game and in the second half the backs began to move the ball wide to overcome a tiring Newquay defence. Despite Evan's jinking runs and a consolation try from Ewan Launceston were to go on to be convincing winners. (Player of the Match: Evan Pender)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching