Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Progress continues in hard fought contest
Your News Progress continues in hard fought contest

Newquay welcomed the devoted rugby town of Redruth at the Sports Centre on Sunday. In the first game Newquay took early command of the game as Ethan Reed drove through before Eddie Pearce and Arthur Bygrave linked well for Arthur to go over. But with both teams strong and in determined mood this was never going to be a one way match, and so it proved. Redruth countered quickly from the restart and there well drilled forwards forced Newquay on to the back foot, driving through to level the score. Newquay responded in kind and as Redruth sought to hold them back they conceded a number of penalties in quick concession which took Newquay to within a few yards of the try line. Up stepped Ewan Gilroy-Simpson who made his intentions immediately clear as he tucked the ball under his arm before using his superior strength to brush aside the despairing attentions of the Redruth defence to put Newquay in front once again. Redruth nearly levelled just before the half time whistle as Newquay were penalised for failing to release the ball but the defence held firm to go in ahead. The second half saw Newquay start to move the ball around and a fine passing move saw the ball change hands five or six times as Newquay attacked on the right wing. The Redruth defence was dogged though and good work in the ruck saw them force Newquay off the ball and they went over to bring the score level once more. The game was proving a thriller and Newquay once more surged forward, Ethan Reed and Perran Heamen making good progress through the middle. A Redruth penalty saw them look to force their way out of the final third but Newquay re-acquired the ball from the ruck and broke down the left with Eddie Pearce, Ben Hunt and Ewan moving the ball well. The game switched to the right wing and Eddie Pearce picked up a loose ball only to be stopped by an excellent last ditch tackle just short of the line. However, it was to be Ewan who once again drove through to put Newquay in front before Redruth took advantage of some ground gained with two quick succession penalties to draw level. It could have gone either way as the final minutes ticked down but a 15-15 draw was probably a fair reflection on what was a hugely entertaining game. (Players of the Match: Eddie Pearce & Ewan Gilroy-Simpson)

In the second game Redruth proved the stronger team in the ruck and this was to pay dividends as they pushed Newquay back. As Newquay fought to contain the Redruth onslaught a fumbled ball was picked up by a quick thinking Redruth back who darted through to take them into the lead. Newquay responded well and Jack Higginson, Sam Dobbs and Ethan Gill all made fine runs. However it was Redruth who were to take the ball wide to the wing with some neat passing play before going over to strengthen their lead. Never downhearted Newquay bounced back and Jack Higginson once again powered through the middle before running wide to try and out pace the Redruth defence and was unlucky to see the ball knocked forward as he was brought down just before their line. Once again Redruths slick passing, pace and good use of the pitch width saw them extend their lead. Early in the second half Newquay broke from defence with Lewis Hollings running wide down the right to score, unnecessarily running in to place the ball beneath imaginary posts. Newquay were playing hard now, the limpet like Robin Blackman ripping the ball from players twice his size, terrier like Evie Longworth committed as ever and the forwards really rising to the occasion. Great runs from Robin and Ethan saw Lewis over to pull another back and it looked like a Newquay revival was on the cards. It wasn't to be. The Redruth back line held firm and they were to force their way over twice more in the final minutes for a final score of 10-25. (Player of the Match: Robin Blackman).

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching