Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Kenilworth 7 - Walsall 45
Your News Kenilworth 7 - Walsall 45

Same ingredients,similar result. On a near-perfect day for rugby, Kenilworth once again could not be faulted for effort but fell well short of their better-organized and more experienced opponents. Denied the ball for much of this Midlands One West encounter,they were forced to live off scraps, so whatever game-plan they had in mind was never allowed to materialize (writes Bob Jones).

Walsall opened strongly and threatened to gain an early stranglehold. However, a steal by Bobby Thompson put paid to a dangerous move and a punt ahead by Alex Selby,with Andy Whitehall in hot pursuit, promised better things. Alas,it was not to be. With smart fly-half Wood,wily lock Tierney and energetic No 8 Fitzgerald controlling much of their play,it was no surprise when following a series of drives by their pack, which had the upper-hand all afternoon, and a five metre scrum,Tierney was on hand to touch down, with Wood adding the extras after 13 minutes. Four minutes later, Fitzgerald capped a slick move with a try in the right corner, once again improved by Wood. The Ks managed a brief response and gained a penalty,which Simon Tyler sliced wide of an upright. The visitors soon regrouped and it took a good tackle from Nyle Beckett to halt a threatening attack. It was then the turn of Whitehall to clear danger after winger Turner had torn a hole in the home defence. The pressure from the West Midlands outfit was relentless, and prior to the half-time whistle, they posted two more converted tries, the first by flanker Hickman, the second by Wood.

A determined run by Dominic Sheehan opened the second period but Walsall were soon into their stride,with both forwards and backs interpassing with pace and poise. Their pack was especially effective and following three bullocking drives close to the Kenilworth line, prop Fitzgerald crashed over for an unconverted try on 12 minutes. Josh McShane was forced to retire injured, Adam Clifford coming into a reshuffled back line. A Tyler tackle saved a certain try as Wood was weaving his way through the defence. A Thompson up-field surge gave hope of some following phases but he was engulfed by the cover. Matters got a little heated up-front and resulted in Rhys Llewellyn and Walsall hooker Scott being lectured by referee Marcus Greenway. Scott then burrowed over for another unconverted try, before resuming hostilities with Llewellyn, which earned them both a sin-binning. Just about the one piece of slack play by the visitors enabled the alert AChris Wood to intyedrcept and race cleasr for a consolatuin try that Tyler converted after 32 minutes.Heartened by this, the Ks enjoyed their best spell, with Catalin Graur and Ross Lowthian prominent. Nonetheless, it was Walsall who had the last word when yet another good move was finished by scrum-half Pittaway, Wood converting.

Kenilworth: Graur, Cresswell (Capt), Llewellyn,Openshaw, Lane, Wood, Gibson, Thompson, Selby, McShane, Beckett, Saheehan, Tyler, Whitehall. Replacements: Lowthian, Andrew, Clifford.

Next Saturday (February 4th), Kenilworth travel to Bournville. Kick-off is at 2.15pm.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching