Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Olney 10 - Bletchley 24
Your News Olney 10 - Bletchley 24


D. Rainbow, A. Barrick, G. Stanton, T. O'Connor, C. Belcher, W. Parkin, P Leahy , J. Robinson.

O. Caplin, C. Duck, T. Dolemore, C. Parnham (capt.), J. Padfield, C. McLean, J. Hannah


P. T'Gransky, P. Berry, J. Letts.

On the back of their successful trip to Buckingham last week, and mindful of their close home game against

Bletchley earlier in the season, Olney were keen to reverse the result at Manor Fields in September. They had

the opportunity to go ahead after 5 minutes when awarded a penalty close enough for Doleman to go for goal.

The attempt failed and the home team were soon on the receiving end of some determined attacking play

from the visiting threes and counter attacks from Bletchley's full back Garrett. After 8 minutes quick hands put

G.Harman in for a try, converted by P.Harman to open the scoring 0 - 7. An attempt to extend the lead from

a penalty to Bletchley was unsuccessful but tries from Garrett and prop forward Sprules, both converted by

P.Harman saw Bletchley ahead, after 25 minutes, 0 - 21.

Olney managed to tighten up the game and their cover defence snuffed out a number of probing runs by the

visiting backs who elected to run the ball close to their pack. From a penalty on Bletchley's 10 m. line Olney

set up a move, Duck making a half break and feeding the ball out to give winger McLean a chance that ended

with him being bundled in to touch. Olney won the ball on Bletchley's throw in and gained the benefit of a

penalty for a ruck infringement by the visitors. The kick to touch on Bletchley's 5 m. line put the home side in a

promising position that seemed to have been wasted when a further penalty, this time to Bletchley, took the

pressure off. However, the kick to clear their lines was charged down and fed out to Mclean who managed

to jink through the defence for a try in the corner. The conversion was wide of goal but Olney were on the

scoreboard, 5 - 21.

Olney made a substitution Peter T'G. replacing P. Leahy.

From the restart kick the ball was fed to McLean who running to his opposite wing just managed to get over

the goal line in the corner, the ref. disallowed a try adjudging that the ball was grounded before the line. Thus

ended the first half,


Bletchley kicked off to start the second half putting the ball deep into Olney territory. Their pack won the ball

and set up a driving maul, they managed to get into Olney's in-goal area but the referee deemed the ball to

be held up. Bletchley attempted to drive the ensuing scrum but a knock on gave Olney a scrum. The ball was

cleared to the home 10 m. line and Bletchley were awarded a penalty at the following line out. The Bletchley

outside half elected to kick for goal but was just short. Play continued in the Olney half for a spell, but good

defending stemmed a number of attacks by the visitors. Pressure was relieved when a long kick from Robinson

was followed up by McLean who kicked the ball into the Bletchley in goal area.

Olney were now beginning to exert some pressure on the visitors and the effort was taking some toll with a

number of stoppages keeping the physios busy. Bletchley substituted their scrum half, moving Garrett up

from full back. A penalty to Bletchley, in range for P.Harman, was taken successfully to extend the visitor's lead

to 5 - 24.

Olney brought on Berry and Letts for Rainbow and Dolemore.

Play continued with exchanges of scrums and penalties, Bletchley striving for the bonus point and Olney

making more frequent forays into the Bletchley half. The reward for their efforts came when Olney won a line

out off the visitor's throw and O'Connor went in for a try. The kick failed to add the points making the score

10 - 24.

Olney put the visitors under pressure in the last quarter of the game and Bletchley had to take up the

defending role to emerge victors.


This was a creditable performance by the home side, the pack holding up well against a much heavier set of

forwards. In defence the tackling, notably by Duck, salvaged what could easily have turned into a rout. The

forwards also did their bit to stem the early onslaught. And the line out showed a marked improvement.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching