Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Chesham 27 - Didcot 10
Your News Chesham 27 - Didcot 10

Chesham Rugby Club continued their winning run on Saturday afternoon with a strong 27-10 victory over the visiting Didcot. The home side’s preparation was not helped as the visitors were late arriving, leading to the kick-off being delayed at the last moment. However, Chesham were able to keep warm and start the game strongly.

The Stags were able to secure possession from the kick off, and immediately set about attacking the Didcot line. The home side looked to test the visitor's wide defence but were unable to break through. Didcot themselves were attacking strongly and used counter-attacking ball to break wide and take valuable ground. Eventually, after a sustained period of pressure, Didcot broke through and scored the opening try which was converted to give them a 7-0 lead. Soon after Chesham narrowed the gap through a Ross Leek penalty.

With some points on the board, the Stags began to warm to the game and started to impose themselves. The scrum began to dominate, enabling scrum-half James Hook to serve his backline with quick ball. Inside Centre Tom Hirst was able to take advantage and break though the Didcot midfield, with strong support and quick ruck ball, Chesham worked possession wide to enable winger Matt Reynolds to go over for his fifth try in four games.

Chesham continued to dominate the first half were beginning to make regular breaks. After a good midfield break Hook found himself in space, he passed to Phil Cornhill in support who danced down the touchline before offloading back inside to Hook. The scrum-half powered over the line and was able to touch down despite the efforts of several defenders. Leek was unable to convert from out wide. The Stags were now enjoying possession, but Didcot were making use of the ball they were able to secure. Their big runners were making life difficult for the Chesham defence but the men in claret and blue were able to hold the visitors attacks out, despite them being extremely close to scoring on a couple of occasions.

If Chesham’s defence was working well, their attack was excelling. Man-of-the-Match Hirst made another telling break and found his pack streaming after him in support. The forwards showed good hands to work the ball wide to full-back Alex Jaycocks, who made further ground. From the subsequent ruck, Ross Leek was able to show his strength and crash over, converting his own try. The remainder of the half continued with Chesham working hard, but they were unable to add to their tally.

The second half kicked off with Chesham determined to score their fourth try and secure the bonus point, which remains vital in this league. However, it was their opponents who came out of the blocks strongest. Didcot were pressurising the Stag’s line when the referee spotted an infringement, Didcot opted for the posts and closed the gap with a well struck penalty. The Stags continued to try for the bonus point, but the lineout was misfiring and starving the side of possession.

However, Chesham were also able to spoil the opposition’s ball with Jack Davies putting the jumpers under pressure and Warren Gillmore diving through to secure the scraps. Eventually Chesham’s persistence paid off as Phil Cornhill made a fantastic break through the middle, he was hauled down inches short of the line but Hook was on hand to pick up and drive over for his second try of the game. The Stags were able to hold out for the final minutes to secure the 27-10 victory.

“We showed what we’re capable of today, with the forwards setting a platform and securing ball, the backs were able to show their class and get us territory” said captain Gareth Wehrle. “We got the bonus point, which was our target for the game, and I’m proud of our performance. We now need to back it up next week for a distant away match, before we get a couple of weeks off for Christmas.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching