Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Newquay Hornets U10 lose out to Falmouth
Your News Newquay Hornets U10 lose out to Falmouth

The weather was kind once again as Newquay travelled to the south coast for their latest game against Falmouth. With another great squad turn out two games were played with a convincing win in the first followed by a narrow reversal in the second. In the first game a slow start for both teams eventually saw the tide of play swing in Newquay's favour as the strength and strong forward play of Ewan Gilroy-Simpson, Jack Higginson and Ben Hunt began to tell. Ethan Morgan was as energetic as ever and it was he who showed a quick turn of pace to cut through the middle for the first score. When Falmouth did get possession they were harried continually by the Newquay backs. Eddie Pearce broke from the Newquay defensive line and with close support from Evie Longworth and Sol Hawkins the ball was well into the Falmouth final quarter when Ewan picked up and powered through for the second. Newquay were back on the offensive in the second half and Falmouth couldn't break out from defence for long periods. Both teams had made little use of the width early on but Newquay began to rectify this, Ben Hunt picking up from a ruck on the right to run wide left, feeding Ethan Morgan the ball who split the defensive line with sheer pace to seal the win 15-0. (Man of the Match: Ewan Gilroy-Simpson and Ethan Morgan).

In the second game both teams fell asleep in quick succession. First Newquay conceded a try as Falmouth ran through in the first minute almost uncontested before they returned the favour as Lewis Hollings lopped away down the left to level the score. Shortly afterwards a less than convincing tackle once again allowed Lewis to accelerate through and put Newquay in front. Falmouth came back at them and despite some tenacious work by Robin Blackman and Ben Henwood in particular they were to level the score and go ahead prior to the break.

Ben Henwood continued to rise to the task in the second half, ever eager to receive the ball he picked up from a ruck in the centre of the pitch and showed good pace to score on the right. Renewed Falmouth pressure saw Newquay concede once more before they rallied with the first slick passing move amongst the team finally seeing the ball fed wide to Owen Prior on the wing to cross and score. Caught momentarily napping once more Newquay went behind again and despite some late pressure Falmouth held on for the win 25-20. (man of the Match: Lewis Hollings)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching