Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Ryton 22 - Gosforth 20
Your News Ryton 22 - Gosforth 20

VENUE: Barmoor, Ryton

TEAM NEWS AND CRAIC: The front row remained unchanged; they are doing sterling work. Dan Farquhar joined Graham Hall in the second row to replace the unavailable Dan Tucker. Mike McCleery played alongside Aiden Marsh and Adam Bell in the back row, Sam Stirling being unavailable. Mark Anderson moved back to fly-half, because Adam Ainley was not available. Adam Falkner played at scrum-half, Tom Jones has an ankle ligament injury which will keep him out of contention until the New Year. The centre pairing remained as last week. Colin Liddell and Gordon Johnston winged it with Ben Debnam at fullback. On the bench were Jack Levinson, Matt Gaynor and Chris Daley. Prior to kick off we were able to watch Newcastle United in action against Everton on a big screen, if only the Falcons had enjoyed such a flying start to their season. Chris Short may well line up against the Falcons for the French club Lyons in the Amlin Challenge Cup clash this Saturday 12th November.

THE MATCH: Mark Anderson kicked off on an ideal day for rugby, sunny, dry, still air, to quote the nomadic RWC scribe Trevor Hogg On days like this, you wish that you were playing again. Within a couple of minutes Rytons Lewis Barr had kicked a 35 metres penalty to put the home side 3-0 up. With 15 minutes on the clock he had kicked another two penalties to increase their lead to 9-0, thanks to a heavy penalty count against Gosforth. Gosforth pressure led to the award of a lineout close to the Ryton line, up soared flanker Adam Bell securing possession, and the Gosforth pack drove over the line where skipper and prop Joe Woodhams touched down for a try, which Mark Anderson converted. Another Gosforth lineout after a Mark Anderson touch finding penalty proved to be a rerun, Adam Bell catch, forward drive and Joe Woodhams try. This gave the visitors a 12-9 lead; soon increased to 17-9, when the hardworking Adam Bell supported an Aiden Marsh break took a short pass from Aiden and running a shrewd angle eluded the Ryton defence to cross for a try, giving Gosforth a 17-9 halftime lead with the prospect of playing down the slope.

A relaxed confident Gosforth looked comfortable and on the front foot at the start of the second half, soon going 20-9 in the lead, when Mark Anderson stroked a penalty between the posts. But the remaining 35 minutes of the half proved to say the least to be uncomfortable for the green and whites as the home side made a bonfire of their hopes of a bonus point victory. Adam Bell with blood streaming from a cut head was yellow carded, Ryton immediately emulated Gosforth with a lineout catch and drive that led to a try by Andy Rodenby, converted by Lewis Barr to narrow the gap to 20-16. A drop goal by Barr gave Ryton another boost. The nail in the visitors coffin was a long distance penalty by Barr, proving the value of going for penalty goal points in tight games whenever the opportunity arises. At 22-20 there was no way that the home side were going to surrender their narrow lead, so the final minutes were tight, hard but kickable range penalty free.

THIS SATURDAY we face high flying Darlington fresh from their 38-7 win over Horden, so expect fireworks from 2.15pm onwards at Druid Park.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching