Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Ashfield 14 - Kesteven 14 (plus full club round up)
Your News Ashfield 14 - Kesteven 14 (plus full club round up)

Kesteven travelled to Ashfield with high expectations of recording a win and perhaps this led to a degree of over confidence.

Playing into a very strong wind in the first half Kesteven gave away what was the first of some 20 penalties and were punished time after time for this. Midway through the first half they were 9-0 down to 3 Ashfield penalties. .Ks got to the Ashfield try line and were camped there for what seemed an age ,but unfortunately due to poor decision making they came away empty handed.

Kesteven also lost Rob Cooper suffered shoulder and rib injuries which will keep him out for a few weeks.

At the turn round after a very severe talking to from coach Martin Steele the Kesteven play started to improve as the young back line was included in play more often and this resulted in a try and conversion for Danny Turner. However this did not last and ,Kesteven then lost Andy Brown(Shoulder),and Mark Paton(Concussion) to injury which left the game with uncontested scrums. This was this the opportunity for the Kesteven back line to show their strength but sadly all too often the ball was taken back to the Ashfield forwards and not given out to the backs. The upshot of this was penalty after penalty and yellow cards being issued to Kesteven. A chase through in the middle of this period allowed Danny Turner to score a further try and conversion which gave Kesteven a 14-9 lead. Yet more infringements gave Ashfield a chance to move up field and they scored a try under the posts to equal the score, and only an appalling drop conversion attempt by Ashfield left the scores tied. A real let off for the visitors.

This was a very poor performance by Kesteven, with far too many penalties given away, and very poor decision making which played to the strengths of the Ashfield forwards and not to the strengths of Kesteven backs.

Kesteven are better than this result and they will need to show it against Notts Casuals at home on the 11thOct.

Kesteven team

B Betts, T Woolerton, R Cooper, Z Douglas, A Price; D Turner, J Hughes; S Odhams, D Hayward, M Paton, N Clarke, J Kmieciak, A Peabody, N Hardy-Gillings, M Sayle, J Flear, Z Douglas, D Blackley.

The Kesteven 2nds v Ashfield 2nds match was called off as Ashfield were unable to raise a team.


This report arrived too late for last weeks’ issue so apologies to the lads concerned. Some positive reports from the future stars of the club this week, well done to everyone concerned on the playing side and a huge well done and thanks to all those who made the festival such a success.

U14 NLD Cup

Chesterfield 19 – 10 Kesteven

Ks U14s made an early start travelling to Chesterfield for their first NLD game of the season.

A still, overcast day provided ideal conditions. Ks won the toss and chose to take the kick.

Ks made a breakthrough with an early try by winger Kieran Taylor from the first scrum. The conversion fell short.

Chesterfield however came back strongly and their inside centre broke through from a ruck just inside Ks 22 to score. This kick was converted putting Chesterfield in the lead 7-5. It was during this run of play that Ks flanker Matt Cocks was injured in a ruck and left the field for the rest of the game.

From the restart Ks suffered a string of adverse refereeing decisions giving Chesterfield a series of free kicks and penalty kicks. Chesterfield’s no.8 tried to crash the Ks line three times in succession. The last of these attempts was met by a colossal tackle from Ks lock Charlie Avison, playing his first game for the team, but certainly not his last on this showing. The try was averted and Chesterfield’s number 8 was forced to leave the field for the rest of the half.

Chesterfield, however, kept up the pressure and were able to score again, unconverted, before half time.

Things went badly for Ks in the second half. The restart kick went long, Ks failed to recover it, and from the resulting run of play Chesterfield had their third try, putting the game seemingly beyond reach at 19-5.

True to form Kesteven’s comeback kids fought hard throughout the second half but Chesterfield defended well. Ks repeatedly passed the ball out to the wings but Chesterfield’s defenders were ready and had the edge over Ks in the tackling stakes. Ks had only four replacements available today, and all were called upon.

Only in the last few minutes was Kieran Taylor again able to outflank the home team to score Ks’ second try, under the posts. Joe Berry uncharacteristically missed the conversion but it was of no consequence as the final whistle blew.

Kesteven U-11’s Match Report 5/10

Kesteven 10 Lincoln 0

Kesteven 0 Newark 25

Kesteven 0 Stamford 20

Kesteven 10 Nottingham 0

Kesteven coped well with difficult conditions in four competitive matches at the Festival. At this early stage of the season there were promising signs from the forwards and backs linking well in the loose and K’s three-quarters were able to become involved in play despite the slippery ball.

K’s scrummaging was impressive throughout with Charlie Loveday a force in the front row.

Despite the scores, both defeats were keenly fought with Josh Watts assured under the high ball at full-back and always willing to counter-attack. A highlight of the final match was Loveday’s barnstorming score, scattering several opposition backs in his wake .



Try scorers:Lyle,Morrison,Loveday,Bower





The under 10s moved to contested scrums and lineout’s this year and the forwards responded well in the set pieces but like the rest of the side lacked concentration early on.

The first game was against Oakham. Straight from the kick off The Black Army let the opposition stroll through to score an easy first try. Relentless attacking from Oakham continued for the first half and the lads went into the half time 20-0 down. The second half showed some resistance but lacked any inspiration and they eventually lost 30-0

The second game against Market Rasen started with Kesteven in the same almost sleepwalking state and let the faster Rasen players in for 2 tries. After this though they seemed to respond and a well worked try made the half-time score 2-1. The second half started evenly. Kesteven went further behind to a mauling try by a larger Market Rasen pack. This was quickly negated by an individual try by Matthew Law. After that they pushed on and scored the equalising try late in the second half.

The third game saw them come out rampant against Stamford and from the start they give the opposition little room to move. 3 first half tries put Kesteven well in control and although the second half was slower Kesteven never looked under threat. A third try for Chris Lampard gave them an impressive win.

The last game against a big Melton was a terrific game with little to choose between them.

They matched each other try for try and eventually a 15-15 draw seemed fair. It is worth noting that Melton had beaten Oakham earlier in the contest. This really did show up how asleep Ks were in the first game.

The new players William, Drew, Blaise, Harry and Alex certainly did play their part and weren't intimidated by the occasion.


Lampard( 4), Law(4), Rogerson (2)




Nine clubs took part in Kesteven’s annual season opening rugby festival for players under 12. Despite appalling weather, 900 players attended and played a total of 124 matches.

Kesteven provided teams in all age groups and fielded two squads at under 7 and under 8, such is the popularity of junior rugby.

The rain lashed down all morning and the clubhouse became surrounded by a 6 foot wide moat of muddy water, but volunteer helpers kept the matches running on time and the spectators and players supplied with hot food, drinks and homemade cakes.

Kesteven Junior Club Secretary, Ian Braybrook, said ‘The conditions were appalling but everybody helped out and kept things going, right up until the end of the afternoon when we needed help to push some of the last cars out. The spirit of the parents and the players was incredible’

The Kesteven under 9 and under 12 squads did particularly well, going through all their pool matches unbeaten and narrowly losing in two hard fought finals. The under 9’s did not concede a try in their 4 qualifying matches.

Full results of the finals and of Kesteven qualifying matches are as follows

U7 Nottingham 5 Oakham 3

U8 Oakham 7 Stamford 2

U9 Melton 3 Kesteven 0

U10 Sleaford 2 Melton 1

U11 Stamford 2 Oakham 1

U12 Oakham 3 Kesteven 0

U7 Kesteven Runners lost to Lincoln 4-5, Newark 2-3, Stamford 1-3 and Nottingham 2-4

U7 Kesteven Flyers lost to Oakham 3-4, drew with Market Rasen 4-4, beat Sleaford 5-4 and drew with Lincoln 3-3.

U8 Kesteven Runners drew with Lincoln 7-7, lost to Newark 3-6 and Stamford 2-4 and Nottingham 4-5

U8 Kesteven Flyers lost to Oakham 3-6, drew with Rasen 5-5,, beat Sleaford 2-1 and Melton 5-3

U9 Kesteven beat Lincoln 1-0, Newark 3-0, Stamford 2-0 and Nottingham 1-0.

U10 Kesteven lost to Oakham 0-6,, drew with Rasen 3-3, beat Stamford 4-0 and drew with Melton 3-3

Festival Feedback

Thanks to everyone who helped on Sunday. The weather made things much more difficult and the pitches and clubhouse took a hammering. Old hands had never seen so much water around the clubhouse.

Helpers, parents and coaches were fantastic. The matches started on time and finished on time. The coaches kept the players warm and motivated. Nick Law , Mark Dingley and Paul Hammon turned out time and time again to referee additional matches. Chris Cann and his car park crew did wonders in fitting so many cars in and getting them out again. The u13 based kitchen and barbecue helpers worked solidly throughout keeping people fed. Alistair, Melanie and Fiona managed the order of play and scoring without a hitch, helped by volunteer runners. Pauline and Amber and co sold out in the tuck shop and malwas cleaned out of wet weather gear in the kitshop. Clare managed the bar single handed for much of the day. Thanks to Richard Perkins as well for coming along specially to deliver the pa system and take it back again and to Dave Epton for repairing the extractor fan on Saturday evening and being on hand to give ploughing advice .I think everyone enjoyed themselves and financially it was a great success.

Major lessons learned were that we will have to reduce the number of clubs invited next year and probably put a cap on the number of players allowed per squad.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching