Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Accies lose to Marr
Your News Accies lose to Marr

"Marr edge it in close encounter"

The scoreline suggests otherwise but in reality there was little between the teams today but Marr edged it in scoring3 tries in the first half and then the only score of the second half to Accies one.

With second place up for grabs, Accies came flying out of the blocks at the start of the game and really took it to Marr blasting away at them with high intensity. Marr were really on the back foot and can consider themsleves fortunate to be only 3 - 0 down following a Stephen O'Donnell penalty after 4 minutes rather than a try which looked odds on in the early surge from Accies.

Accies really wanted a try and strike again. A superb sweeping play starting from inside Accies own half saw Mike Hermes burn up the wing and when forced inside the support was there as the ball swept from right to left. Marr scrambled their defence but following a ruck just 5 metres short in the left hand corner Jamie Doig took the pass stepped and drew the defence and popped the pass to Matteo Giovanazzi to run in the first try of the game (conv S O'Donnell) after just ten minutes and things were looking good. 10 - 0

However, this Marr side (coached by former Melrose & Ayr man - Craig Redpath)are competitive and quite good and they struck back immediately as they made full use of turnover ball and theirNo.8 drove deep into Accies 22m and popped the pass to their left winger to open their account after 15 mins. 10 - 5

Accies struck back immediately as heavy pressure again resulted in Stephen O'Donnell kicking another penalty to take Accies to 13 - 5 but Marr aren't the lying down type and in the face of some very strong Accies defence, Marr's flying right wing came cross field and got the pass and found some space and with pace to burn scored an excellent solo effort in the left hand corner. 13 - 10 after 25 mins

Marr cranked it up a notch as they turned the screw in the scrum and by turning over scrum ball quickly fed their backline and the flying No14 has the gas and nous to get into the right hand corner to take Marr into the lead 13 - 17 after 30 mins.

Marr laid seige to Accies' line as half time closed in but the Accies defence held firm but an offence had occured and they kicked the penalty to lead 13 - 20 at half time.

The second half was no less intense as both teams went at it toe to toe but in effect cancelled each other out as defences were on top on both sides and the clear cut chances were in short supply and Accies were to rue a missed penalty that would've given them some momentum as Marr made the solitary breakthrough in the second half to score the clinching try with 15 mins to go. 13 - 27 at Full time.

Overall, an excellent contest between two highly motivated teams, early in the game Marr looked in trouble as they struggled to cope with Smith, Doig in the middle and Hermes on the wing blasting away at them butMarr made the most of their chances and led by half time. The second half was close and tense as neither team could create the dominance and momentum to push on and in the end Marr deserved their win by scoring 4 tries to Accies one.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching