Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > GHK match report
Your News GHK match report

GHK v Stewartry Match Report

A distinctly dreich autumnal day greeted this meeting of top versus bottom of the table. However, GHK were aware that Stewartry had lost matches narrowly and that the conditions would make it difficult to execute their preferred style of expansive rugby. So it proved, partly due to GHKs tendency to over elaborate at times allied to stubborn defence from Stewartry, which was only breached on two occasions in the first half before GHK ran in another six tries to ensure an ultimately comfortable 50-0 win.

GHKs first score was achieved after 7 minutes when one of the few successful handling passages of the half, including a spot of juggling from captain Danny Hoffman resulted in run to the corner for winger Scott Eadie with a fine conversion following from Andy Fleming.

Although GHKs forwards were dominant in the tight, with several line outs won against the throw and Stewartrys bigger pack being disrupted at scrum time, several moves broke down in the difficult conditions and only one more try was scored before half time when a well worked backs move saw Scott Eadie turn provider as he intruded from the blind side and fed his fellow winger Russell Johnston. 12-0 at half time.

GHK made the game and bonus point safe within a few minutes of the restart, their first try coming from a chip ahead by the Stewartry stand off which was well gathered and run back in by Mikey Borthwick. Converted again by Andy Fleming for 19-0. Straight from the kick off a Stewartry knock on was claimed by Hugh Parker who showed good speed to beat the defence from half way for 24-0. Tony Herron then claimed the first of his brace following an interception from Danny Hoffman.

By now GHK were making better use of the lions share of possession they were enjoying and all three replacements, John Mill, Ross Murphy and Danny Fleming, were playing their part. Further scores followed from Mikey Borthwick, following a good run by Greg Woolard; Tony Herron, with a typically mesmeric run from his own half which seemed destined to be stopped on more than one occasion; and, finally, from Danny Fleming, - making a welcome return from injury - all three being converted by Tony Herron.

GHKs coaching team, who it was great to see were out in force to analyse the teams performance, will have been pleased with many aspects of their sides efforts, not least the performance of the pack in the tight; the desire to keep playing good rugby in difficult conditions; and the determination shown to hold out at the end to prevent Stewartry from gaining a consolation score.

The league table still makes for good reading but there are two difficult away games up next with Annan and Irvine to visit. Even greater effort will be required in these two but the team is showing greatspirit and ability to rise to the challenges set.


This article was posted on 12-Oct-2011, 23:02 by Ronnie Gourley.

RBS West Regional League Division One 8 October

Click here to return to the previous page

GHK Rugby is sponsored by...

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching