Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Millwall 90 - Kings Cross Steelers 0
Your News Millwall 90 - Kings Cross Steelers 0

MILLWALL rugby club continued their dominance of Essex Division 2 with a resounding victory over London rivals Kings Cross Steelers on Saturday.

It was an afternoon of milestones as full back Ben Murphy scored four tries, centres James Reilly and Dan Lawrence scored five between them, and veteran flanker Ryan Kuleska played his 100th match for the club in front of a packed crowd at home in Victoria Park.

Head coach Dave Leftley was proud of the attacking display and fierce commitment by Millwall to keep their line intact, but was disappointed in the lack of discipline shown at times by the team. He said: “We can’t continue to give away as many penalties as we did today in the first half if we want to continue our run in the EDF Cup and stay on top of the Essex 2 league.”

The result sees the two clubs at opposite ends of the table after three rounds, with Millwall now aloft at the top of the table and the Steelers at the bottom.

The visitors won the toss and made the brave decision to run into a strong wind to start. The opening half saw King’s Cross compete well up front with Millwall, however, some pulsating rugby by the home team’s loose forwards allowed fly half Dom Sutherland to unleash the full force of the Millwall backline and the Steelers struggled to compete with their speed and execution.

Millwall scored with Ben Murphy opening his account in the fourth minute with a penetrating run through the visitors’ back line. The half continued in this vein, with Millwall able to take advantage of the strong breeze and kick themselves out of poor field position to run in try after try in the first half.

The first half wasn’t with out its problems for the Millwall men as they gave away 14 penalties in the half and Daryl Gera found himself on the sideline for 10 minutes for a late tackle on one of the Steelers’ players.

The second half saw an improvement in Millwall’s discipline and although King’s Cross played with enthusiasm through to the final whistle they were unable to pressurise Millwall’s try line.

* The Millwall Second team also won 27-25 on the weekend against Maldon, with Chris Copping kicking the winning conversion with seconds remaining on the clock. Unfortunately, the Third team were out played by East London in their match, however, congratulations must go to youth squad player Billy Grey who scored a try on his debut for the senior team.

* Millwall First and Second teams continue their league campaigns this weekend with matches against Loughton and Bancroft respectively.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching