Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Medicals 25 - Gosforth 40
Your News Medicals 25 - Gosforth 40

VENUE; Cartington Terrace, Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne

Saturday 17th September 2011

CRAIC; no changes to last weeks front 5, but the back row featured Matt Gaynor at number eight flanked by Adam Bell and Sam Stirling; Tom Kelbrick was unavailable because of work commitments.

Coach Adam Falkner teamed up at halfback with Mark Anderson with Ed Dufrois and Ronan Press and forming a strong centre partnership. Adam Ainley moved to the wing with Nathan Bailey a youthful presence at fullback with Jack Levinson on the other wing. The bench was strong, all 3 playing a significant part in the victory, Aiden Marsh, Chris Daley and Andy Ushaw. Mike Jurowski and Tom Jones were two of the injured members of the squad who turned up to support the team.

THE MATCH; Mark Anderson kicked off at this attractive tree lined ground, which was bathed in sunshine. Gosforth showed plenty of early endeavour. Medicals fly-half failed with a long distance penalty attempt. The home sides winger cashed in on a shrewd chip kick ahead to cross for a try, which their fly-half Reade converted to put 7 points on the board. Within 10 minutes Medicals number eight James Bashall stole lineout ball from Gosforth and bustled over for a try which Reade converted. Mark Anderson moved to scrumhalf when Adam Falkner picked up an injury, and his running penalty down the touchline paved the way for a Gosforth lineout win by Dan Tucker, who then got his hands on the ball and then determinedly forced his way over the home sides line to ground the ball for a try, which Mark Anderson converted from 22 metres, narrowing the points gap to 17-7. A Mark Anderson penalty closed the gap even further, and at halftime the home side enjoyed a 17-10 lead.

Medicals kicked off, soon a Dan Tucker run and offload put pressure on the Medicals and Mark Anderson popped over a penalty from the 22 metre line. Reade ,the Medics fly-half soon countered with a penalty , whilst Adam Ainley spent 10 minutes off the field, having been yellow carded. A try by the Medics openside flanker Hutton, who plundered a Gosforth line out and sprinted over the line, gave them a 25-16 advantage, with just under 30 minutes of the match remaining.

The final quarter of the contest belonged to Gosforth , who opened up the Medicals defence with what Adam described rightly as creative and expansive rugby; winger Jack Levinsons pace and directness earned him a brace of tries; the first after a strong break by number eight Matt Gaynor, the second after a slick passing move, in both cases the ball was grounded in the corner. The balanced, elusive running of young fullback Nathan Bailey took him through the Medics defence for Gosforths bonus point fourth try, which Mark Anderson converted. Skipper and prop Joe Woodhams made a bursting run, keen to get in on the act. Gosforths eight with replacements Aiden Marsh and Chris Daley continued to scrummage strongly, and, following a scrum win, replacement centre Andy Ushaw took a pass from fly-half Ed Dufrois and broke through the Medics defence for a late try, which Mark Anderson converted to give the visitors a convincing win, and which put a spring in the step of this OAP.

NEXT WEEK we face a tough test at home from Horden, who featured, but lost out in a 56-31 points bonanza at Stockton this week .We will need another performance of character to win.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching