Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Tynedale 34 - Blaydon 25
Your News Tynedale 34 - Blaydon 25

After Blaydon's excellent start to the season it was more than a little disappointing that for much of this eagerly awaited clash at Tynedale they were 'never at the races'. Slow to start, regularly beaten to the loose ball and generally outgunned in the scrum they trailed by 9 points at half way and then by 18 just 7 minutes into the second period when it looked all over.

By the end of normal time a late revival had reduced the shortfall closer to the margin it usually is in these encounters, but in a game that was never as exciting as the scoreline might suggest, Tynedale fittingly were to have the last laugh.

Andrew Baggett opened the scoring with a penalty but Joel Hodgson was soon to level and then be twice involved in the buld up to the first try scored by Grant Beasley, the flanker storming in from broken play.

The heavens opened as the Tynedale onslaught built momentum with Beasley and then Sam Shires on the rampage in the 22. The ball went down and Gavin Painter hacked clear but then failed to collect and back it came for Matt Outsen to jink over, Hodgson once more on target with the conversion.

Little had been seen of Blaydon up till now but 'out of the blue' Painter went clear over half way, and with Jason Smithson involved Simon Barber was released down the right for a trademark try.

At the break it was 17-8 and when Baggett struck another penalty the gap was closing fast and Blaydon perhaps on the comeback trail. Such thoughts quickly flew out of the window in the course of the next 3 minutes however when 2 disastrous howlers turned the game once and for all.

Fatal hesitation allowed Tynedale to arrive first to a through ball and allow Richard Boyle to gallop away for try No3, and barely had the dust settled when failure to gather in a high ball let Chris Harris set off in similar fashion.

But just when you felt it really was all over, Blaydon, enlivened by the arrival of replacement Shaun English, picked up the pace for the first time and set up camp in the home 22. Spurning 2 kickable penalties they piled on the pressure and when Charles Inceldon clung on to a ferocious head high pass and took on the defence Tynedale were caught at sixes and sevens and eventually English crashed over.

Now in retreat Tynedale pulled down yet another rolling maul leaving referee John Meredith with no option but to award a penalty try. With 80 minutes on the clock and the score at 29-25 Blaydon were now certain of at least a bonus point - or so it seemed. They continued to press forward in search of a win but it came to nothing and sadly another Harris try in the final play cruelly snatched the consolation point from their grasp - game, set and match to Tynedale.

John Brennan



Tries: Beasley 20, Outsen 29, Boyle 45, Harris 47, 87,

Conversions: Hodgson 20, 29, 47.

Penalty: Hodgson 9.


Tries: Barber 33, English 67, Penalty try 80

Conversions: Baggett 67, 80.

Penalties: Baggett 5, 44.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching