Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > North Ribblesdale 27 - Yarnbury 14
Your News North Ribblesdale 27 - Yarnbury 14

For the first league encounter of the new season Yarnbury assembled for the journey to Settle without half the normal first team and due to holiday and work committments including Captain Ben Horner so both the pack and threequarters looked short on experience although full of youthful exuberance.Colts James Avison coming in on the right wing and Tom Cliffe in the centre before disappearing to Nottingham University next week.Evergreen Chris Wray continued in the second row and Adam Reynolds as a utility player into the back row rather than his preferred hooking role.Adam Pike and Richard Lister made up a youthful front row with the returning Alex Bowden from last season's sojourn to Beverley.

Yarnbury controlled the game up the slope in the first half for most of the game and looked comfortable in defence apart from the occasional break made by the rangy and tall number 6 Mike Carr.They took the lead with a good forward attack to the Ribblesdale posts with prop Adam Pike being pushed over by his pack mates.Simon Tabb coming up from full back to convert.Yarnbury then started giving penalties away to Ian Bartlett the opposition stand off who got three points back.They then scored a try through stand off Bartlett who converted his own score to take the lead.Not to be outdone Yarnbury created a slick move after steady ball from the scrum and neat interchanging between stand off John Moore and Ian Maycock the stand off kicked for the corner and just managed to get his foot to the ball and clip it infield and over the try line for centre Ian Maycock to touch down and with a Simon Tabb conversion from the touchline Yarnbury were looking in command at half time 10-14.

What a change the second half brought in sunny warm conditions.Firstly,Yarnbury lost theor influential stand off John Moore with an ankle injury and had to rejig the formation when winger James Iveson was sin binned for a frustrating exclamation overheard by the referee.Elis Gomersall coming on at full back and Simon Tabb moving to the No10 role.

The game turned on one strange ref 's decision when winger Wayne Raynor was adjudged to have knocked the ball forward on purpose when attempting to tackle Ribblesdale Centre Steve Bolland .The referee pointed immediately to a penalty try under the posts to everyone's suprise.Agifted seven points.Three further forward tries followed near the end of the game and were converted leading to the final score but by this time Yarnbury had several chances which were lost by aimless kicks or loosing good line out ball which was particularly disappointing with the return of hooker Alex Bowden from the national leagues with beverley to provide consistently good line out ball which the second row could not gather consistently without the departed Dave Gornell or in the rucks where not enough support was there to secure the possession.A result that maybe flattered the home side but they were tighter as a pack than Yarnbury and left some hard thinking to Coach Bob Hood before the Ripon home game next saturday.

Yarnbury Hornets 15 v Old Crossleyans 19

Saturday saw yet another fine day and the visit of Old Crossleyans for the 2nd merit league game of the season, hopes were high of repeating last weeks performance and subsequent victory. Crossleyans came with revenge in mind having visited Brownberrie lane last year expecting an easy afternoon they were sent home beaten. The Hornets were going to have to do it the hard way losing Shannon, Longstaffe, Cliffe to the first team and Mark Dixon and Danny Price both unavailable and still no recognised hooker available. They did however welcome back the new slim line Matthew Atkins back into the fold and eager to impress after his sabbatical in Malia

The game started with Crossleyans on the offensive from the very first whistle and the Hornets struggling to get a real foothold in the game due to the lack of possession, the first 20 min was really one way traffic and it really looked like a matter of time before Crossleyans converted pressure into points. The Hornets though are a resilient bunch who not only play attractive rugby but they know how to defend to a man. Crossleyans threw everything at them and the only thing they came away with was a drop goal from the stand off. The downside to all this defending though is that it took a lot out of us. Whenever the hornets got possession it was either kicked poorly or turned over due to poor handling or silly errors, thus we struggled to gain any continuity.

Slowly though we worked our way back into the game and started to gain in confidence, having being worried about our scrum before the start this proved to be rock solid as things went on with Atkins, Blackburn, Dodgson, Coates and Burrows giving a solid base for scrum half Tom Bowman in only his 2nd start to finally get his backs going, Simon Threlfall playing in the centre was starting to punch holes down the middle and Joe Churnin at full back causing problems with his elusive running when hitting the line. The Hornets after a period of pressure with good scoring opportunities finally took one when after a scrum Threlfall burst through the middle and managed to offload to the supporting No.8 Wayne Butterfield to touch down next to the posts with Matt Lawson adding the extras. A silly penalty was given away on halftime which was kicked to make the halftime score 7-6. All things considered this was not a bad score line given the way the half had gone.

The Hornets suffered an early setback when Threlfall had to go off injured and with no back replacement back row Will Davies went into the centre with Ashley Parker coming into the back row and putting himself about from the start. Davies though within 5mins of this was forced to leave the field with a nasty cut to the head and with the Hornets struggling to reorganise Crossleyans took immediate advantage and scored a well worked try in the centres which was converted and with another drop goal this made the score 16-7. Crossleyans were looking dangerous and with a lack of punch in the backs Yarnbury were staring down the barrel. Rob Pound came off the 3rd team pitch to go into the centres and the Hornets struck back with a penalty but this was cancelled out by a Crossleyans penalty making it 19-10 going into the last 15 min

The hornets refused to lie down and threw everything at Crossleyans and with 9mins to go after a good run from debutant Chris Flowers there was an intelligent kick to the corner which Russell Gomersall accepted to touch down in the corner Matt Lawsons conversion shaved the post to make the score 19-15. The hornets tried everything in the final few minutes but could not find a way through Crossleyans well organised defence and so lost this encounter.

Crossleyans deserved their victory; their backs were well organised both in attack and defence but having said that we outscored them 2 tries to 1. A lot of positives can be taken from this result. This mostly is a young team who are improving all the time this is a big step up in the quality of 2nd team opposition and we can but learn from each game. This team will not roll over against anyone and will keep playing for the full 80 mins win or lose. If we can sort out our lineout and get a bit more of a punch in the backs then things will get a lot better before they get worse, unfortunately continuity is our biggest problem one thing is for certain teams will no they have had a game when they play us, next week sees us travel to Ripon in what were 2 good games last year.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching