Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Sevenoaks A XV outplay Maidstone 3s
Your News Sevenoaks A XV outplay Maidstone 3s

The A XV kicked off their season with a hard fought victory over Maidstone 3's on Saturday.

Weather conditions were perfect for running rugby on Knole Paddock and Skipper Billy Rosier empahsised the need to make a strong start against one of the main rivals this year.

Unfortunately it was Maidstone who made the better start ripping into Sevenoaks from the off. Early pressure from Maidstone yielded a penalty opportunity 15 metres out. They opted for the points which were duly added by the outhalf. Sevenoaks were not performing to their usual fluency but the forward ably led by Mike Thomas began to get a foothold in the game. The Front Row of Scott, Ivle and Southwood started putting pressure on the Maidstone front row and Sevenoaks started gaining some territory. A stirke againstthe head fro, Ivle resulted on Cosh streaking down the wing only to be hauled down by the cover defence. As the game moved into the 2nd quater the defence was tested to the extreme after concerted drives from the 'stone pack but this was repulsed by some exceptional defence with Kirkaldy, and Van Schkwyk to the fore leading to a turnover which was cleared down field by Kennedy who was having a fine game at 10.

Sevenoaks conjured up a try with 10 minutes remaining when Robertson managed to intercept a wayward Maidstone pass, after gaining control he had 6 players to beat, but slalomed his way through to dot down under the posts. The try was converted by Kavanagh and Sevenoaks found themselves up by 4 points whilst surviving on scraps of possesion.

The try kicked started a period of sustained 'Oaks pressure with Maidstone being attached down every channel. Sevenoaks managed a further try before the break following stellar work by Thomas at the breakdown stealing after a fabulous tackle by Fuller. Thomas made some yards before offloading to Robertson 40m out to finish off. Again Kavanagh converted from out on the wing, to have 'Oaks up by 11 at halftime.

The second hald started off as intensely as the first with Maidstone pushing to get back in the game. Again the defence was tested but with Billy and Paul tackling like dervishes Sevenoaks managed to clear their lines and gain some fiield position. Unfortunately Maidstone cameback and managed to crash over after some good work from their forwards. This was converted and to compound matters Sevenoaks were caught napping at a lineout 10 minutes later where a quickthrow was taken and Maidstone were through for a converted try which made the game all square.

Sevenoaks were to loose Priestley who was having a fine game in the engine room. Luckily enough Sam Miles was available to assist and take his place in the 2nd row.

As the game moved into the final quater Sevenoaks were awarded a penalty 40m out which established a 3 point cushion. Finishing stronger 'Oaks managed to work the ball down the line to Wattmough who managed to strike from 30 metres out and touch down to make the game safe again converted to establish a healthy 27-17 scoreline. The game finished again with 'Oaks on the attack.

Whilst not as fluent as in the previous week, this team again showed the heart and courage are not lacking in the sqaud. And ably lead by WIll Rosier the team can look forward to similar leadership which characterised the reign of Monks and Phillips. A special note of thanks must be added for Tai who benched without getting a runout.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching