Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Exeter Chiefs 70 - Moseley 10
Your News Exeter Chiefs 70 - Moseley 10

Exeter Chiefs romped to an overwhelming victory at a sunny Sandy Park scoring 10 tries against a side that had begun the game level on points with them. The Chiefs dominated from start to finish and had the game, and bonus point, sewn up by the end of a first half in which they revelled in the perfect weather and pitch conditions to blow their plucky opponents away.

The Chiefs opened the scoring after just four minutes; a Moseley clearance to Exeter’s 22-metre line helped start the first of many sustained attacking moves with, just as on many subsequent occasions, Kevin Barrett playing a prominent role. After several phases of attack, the ball was shifted along the line for Sean Marsden to score in the corner. Gareth Steenson missed with the conversion (as he had with an earlier penalty) but he was to get plenty of opportunities to put that right later.

Exeter knocked over a penalty on 14 minutes from their own 10-metre line when Moseley failed to roll away from the tackle. Five minutes later, breaks from Barrett and Tom Johnson set up the broken field situation that Josh Drauniniu relishes and he was not to disappoint as he scorched past the Moseley cover to score, ignoring the supporting Marsden and rightly backing himself to shake off the last man.

Moseley stand-off Tristan Roberts missed with penalty attempts either side of the second try as Moseley tried in vain to get in to the game and onto the scoreboard. Exeter continued to attack and a Marsden chip and chase almost resulted in a try as a hurried Moseley clearance was gobbled up by Johnson, who was nearly bundled over the try-line. From an ensuing penalty, Exeter set up camp on the Moseley five-metre line and, following a series of offences and a clear warning from the referee, Moseley conceded a penalty try for persistent offending.

Roberts finally got his side on the scoreboard after 35 minutes with a penalty but this only seemed to provoke the Chiefs who roared back with two more tries before half-time. Another lengthy series of Exeter attacks, with Johnson, Barrett and man of the match Drauniniu prominent, had the away defence in all kinds of disarray resulting in Lewis Stevenson bullocking over from 15 yards. On the stroke of half-time, Stevenson broke through the gain line to put Drauniniu into space for what looked like being a carbon copy of his earlier try until he passed unselfishly to Marsden, who was rewarded for his support play this time with the try.

Exeter showed few signs of tiring of the contest as they flew out of the blocks for the second half and scored their sixth try just two minutes after the restart as a searing break by Marsden put Matt Jess into space to score on his debut. Steenson continued to knock over the conversions and helped himself to a try of his own five minutes later when he finished off a move that he started by breaking over the gain line, and combining with Mark Fatialofa and Tom Hayes, before speeding between the posts.

Moseley lock Paul Arnold was sent to the sin-bin on 48 minutes as the referee tired of his team’s illegal efforts to slow Exeter down. From the restart, Barrett spotted a gap and bombed through to score a well-deserved try. The game endured a quiet period while a large number or replacements were made but, once they were assimilated, Exeter picked up the pace again and scored two more tries.

Firstly, Drauniniu ghosted his way out trouble and through most of the Moseley team before the ball was passed out to Jess, who sold the last two covering defenders a fantastic dummy to score his second try of the game. Then, shortly after, Fatialofa got his reward for a typically bruising contribution two minutes from time as another Exeter barrage got him just near enough to the try-line for him to stretch out and touch down.

With the last move of the game, Moseley scored a converted try after Paul Arnold caught the Chiefs pack napping. Usually, the Chiefs would have been irritated at conceding such a soft try but, having come across Exeter in this rampaging form, it was hard to begrudge Moseley something for their efforts.


Exeter Chiefs – Marsden; Jess, Rennie (Cornwell 62mins), Fatialofa, Drauniniu; Steenson, Barrett (Stuart-Smith 49mins); Parks, Clark (Blythe 49mins), Andress (Budgen 50mins); Stevenson (Cracknell 49mins), Skelding; Johnson(Alan Miller 62mins), Pugh, Baxter (capt) (Hayes 41mins).

Moseley – Lavery; Norton (Trinder 41mins), Adams (Vasey 54mins), Reay, Bressington; Roberts, Taylor (capt) (Pasqualin 41mins); Williams, Oselton, Sigley (Buxton 61mins); Arnold, Stott (Evans 41mins); Mason, Whitney, Rodwell (Atkinson 61mins).


Exeter Chiefs – Tries: Marsden (2), Drauniniu, penalty try, Stevenson, Jess (2), Steenson, Barrett, Fatialofa; Cons: Steenson (7); Pens: Steenson (2)

Moseley – Try: Arnold; Con: Vasey; Pen: Roberts.

Yellow cards:

Moseley – Arnold (48mins), Mason (63mins)

Attendance: 3,724

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching