Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Yatton Colts 22 - Bath Colts 10
Your News Yatton Colts 22 - Bath Colts 10

Yatton Colts lift Two Cups after Bristol Combination Cup Victory

Luckily both of the marked out pitches at the neutral Aretians ground flowed in the same direction and had the same exposure to the down field gusting wind, otherwise the decision to change pitches due to a concerning midfield injury, after 45 minutes, would have proved to be an awkward one.

Also, as it was, the need for uncontested scrums in the game during the opening 25 minutes and the last 15 was a disappointment, especially in a cup final, for both travelling spectators and players alike. Interestingly it didnt seem to make any difference to the eventual outcome because during the whole period of when scrums were contested Bath were the first to score a try from open play down the wing and into the corner from halfway, followed by a converted Yatton penalty and Yatton converted try after breaking out from their own 22.

Having lost to Weston Hornets in the final of the Somerset Cup at Bridgwater the previous Sunday Yatton could see that the constant presence of the wind was always going to be a factor and Bath had this advantage in their favour for the first half, but it was a George Osborne penalty which gave already League Winners Yatton their lead after only 3 minutes. Minutes later Yatton shunned the opportunity of another 3 from under the posts but their attacking ploy came to nothing as a result of Baths stout defence. After 10 minutes of play Bath began to get into their stride but a penalty conversion attempt flew wide and knock-ons or anxious over running denied points until at the 20th minute when a brilliantly well drilled 5 yard lineout move saw a peal at pace around the blindside to touchdown and put them in front.

Minutes later it took a speculative long range penalty conversion flying low and true against the wind to put Yatton back in with the slenderest of leads at 6-5. Contested scrums were then able to commence and Baths try gave them the half-time lead of 6-10 but spectators suspected that it was doubtful that they had built up a sufficient gap or used the wind advantage enough.

Approximately 5 minutes from the half-time restart there had been no further scoring and an injury made it necessary for the game to be de-camped to the adjacent pitch. A knowledgeable sky high wind enhanced conversion for Yatton from a point between their own 22 and the halfway line dragged back a vital points and signalled to Bath not to give away any penalties. Five minutes later the 22 break out and open play passing brought the League Winners followers to their feet in applause with the try, under the posts, and conversion putting Yatton back in front at 16-10.

Fifteen minutes later after uncontested scrums had been re-imposed nothing had come together for the travellers from Bath who had yet again lost this season to the village side from North Somerset whose scoring finished off, during the last 10 minutes, with a wind assisted sky scraper penalty from, this time, on their own 22 line and another penalty angled kick within the last few minutes. Unfortunately what looked to be the easiest kick of all, seconds from the end, flew wide and spoiled the 100% kicking rate for this Cup Final game. The young exalted Yatton Colts XV left the field to collect both a Cup as League Winners and, of course, a Cup as Bristol Combination Champions and, no doubt, to recount recent tour stories while receiving awards at their Club Dinner later that evening.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching