Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South Leicester 25 - Kenilworth 7
Your News South Leicester 25 - Kenilworth 7

Following an encouraging performance in their opening Midlands One game, Kenilworth suffered a harsh reality check in sunny South Wigston, where the hosts inflicted a comprehensive defeat on the men from Glasshouse Lane. More adept at crossing the gain-line, quicker to the breakdown, and with a very effective defence, South Leicester, whose imperious fly-half Mark Lord controlled the game with tactical kicking, ran out comfortable winners. The one plus in an otherwise below-par performance by the visitors was their set piece, in which they more than matched their opponents (writes Bob Jones).

Opening with the greater enterprise, Kenilworth were awarded two penalty kicks within the first five minutes, but Russell Clarke was off-target with both. Captain Tak Norton then made a good run, but was penalised for not releasing. After 10 minutes, James Hersey was forced to retire with a leg injury, Andy Whitehall moving to centre and Matt Cooper entering the fray on the wing. Penalty kicks were traded both before and after Lord opened the scoring with one for offside on 18 minutes. Following a period of somewhat disjointed play, home full-back Gareth Jones gathered the ball in his own 22 and proceeded to power his way through three ineffective tackles on route to the line for an unconverted try. Lord subsequently made another uncharacteristic miss, when attempting a penalty goal that resulted from a shoulder charge by, and spell in the sin-bin for, Norton. The final minutes saw the efficacy of the Kenilworth scrummage to good effect, twice halting South Leicester advances close to their line. At half-time, the tally was 8-0.

The home side piled on the pressure at the start of the second half. This was rewarded when the impressive Jones finished off a neat handling move with a try that was converted by Lord after seven minutes. The Kenilworth pack then imposed themselves deep in home territory for a protracted spell. However, they failed to turn this pressure into points because their moves were broken down by superb defensive work. Little was seen of the visiting backs, save for a Luke Brown chase after a punt by Clarke, and a couple of forays by Norton and Dave Clements. With 10 minutes of normal time left, Ian Phillips was replaced by Rick Smith. His tenure lasted fully 60 seconds, getting a yellow card from referee Lee Towers for preventing release. Lord made no mistake with the penalty goal attempt. With the game in its dying throes and won, South Leicester were caught napping by Brown, whose clever pick-up following a penalty enabled him to charge over for a try, which was converted by Clarke on 38 minutes. Any glimmer of hope that this reignited was immediately snuffed out, when from the restart,failure to collect the ball saw it pass to and through South Leicester hands, with centre Richard Ife getting the touchdown and Lord converting, a minute from the end of normal time. Seven added minutes saw more pressure from the home side. The solitary Kenilworth advance, initiated by a deft break by Francis Nock, culminated in a searing run by Whitehall that appeared to have gained him a try in the right corner. However, the match officials decided otherwise, and the game ended 25-7.

Kenilworth: N. Collett, Varney, Wati, Phillips, Wadey, Nock, McGuire, Thompson, Norton (Capt.), Clarke, Brown, Noon, Hersey, Whitehall, Clements. Replacements: C.Collett, Smith, Cooper.

In next Saturday's (27th September) Midlands One encounter, Kenilworth entertain Longton. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Second XV: Won 10-64 v Old Laurentians 2s in their first league encounter. Tries: Andy Fox 3; Ross Bayston 3, Paul Stephens 2; Seb Assefuah 1; Drew Dingley 1. Conversions: Glen Bond 7.

Third XV: Lost 39-41 to their Old Coventrian counterparts in a league game. Tries: Russell White 2; Mark Bennett 1; Tim Driffil 1; John Brain 1; Phillipe Fournier 1. Conversions: Mark Bennett 3. Penalty goal: Mark Bennett.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching