Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Gateshead 31 - Gosforth 3
Your News Gateshead 31 - Gosforth 3

Eastwood Gardens was hosting a beer festival in the warm sunshine complete with music; next door the sound of ball upon willow could be heard at the cricket club. Set against this backdrop the home side had the serious task of defeating Gosforth and scoring 4 tries in order to secure automatic promotion.

The visitors were not about to make that task easy, and a first half defensive and forward performance which earned the praise of the Gateshead faithful limited the score to 5-3 with the home side's flanker Broadbent crossing for a try after a flowing attacking move in the 20th minute, and Gosforth flyhalf Mark Anderson stroking over a penalty towards the end of the first half. Even an early yellow card for prop Chris Morris did not hamper the visitor's efforts to keep Gateshead at bay and centre Nick Armstrong's threatening follow up of a kick could have led to a try, but the referee's whistle thwarted that. Chris Morris produced an exceptional offload to Graham Hall in another Gosforth attacking move. Both Graham and fellow lock Andy Scott put in big games, ably supported by the rest of the pack.

Mark Anderson got the second half underway on a hard rutted pitch; Colin Liddell, returned to 1st XV action put in a crunching tackle on a Gateshead winger. But it was the speedy winger Scott Cartner, whose chip and chase opened up the Gosforth defence in the 43rd minute and he crossed for a try to make it 10-3, his conversion kick failed.

Fullback and skipper David Tate made an inspirational 50 metre plus break that carried him through the visitor's defence for a superb try which Cartner converted. Another scintillating break resulted in their third try by Cartner, which he converted to make it 24-3 with 48 minutes on the clock.

Skipper David Tate grabbed the vital fourth try for Gateshead with another lengthy elusive run; Cartner's conversion made it 31-3 to the home side, and it is to Gosforth's credit that for the final quarter of the game they again shackled Gateshead. Mention must be made of prop Joe Woodhams bullocking 25 metre break which epitomised the spirit of the Gosforth side, which welcomed back Colin Liddell who played in the centre and also moved to scrumhalf, along with newcomer Gamble on the wing. The experienced Matt Gaynor and Aidan Marsh flanked Alex Westgarth at no8, all 3 contributed wholeheartedly to the afternoon's entertainment, mercifully avoiding injury on an awkward pitch. Jack Levinson (wing), forward Ben Venning and hooker Anthony Graham all came off the bench; this is a strong looking squad bearing in mind some notable absentees.The verdict from Gateshead was that they were "lethal out wide", but all credit to Gosforth's spirited defence. We wish them well for next season in North East One.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching