Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Ashington 5 - Gosforth 15
Your News Ashington 5 - Gosforth 15

VENUE: Welfare Ground, Ashington

CRAIC: Enjoyed a pre-match chat with one of the host club's veteran members,

who was a member of the Ashington's team, who defeated Gosforth in

the 1948 County Cup semi-final. In those days team members, who worked

in the mine had only a short walk to the club house and pitch and the

National Coal Board paid for a groundsman to maintain it.

WEATHER: Sunny, dry, still air.


Winger Matt Steel joined the Centurions and led the team out. Stu Campbell kicked off a half that was punctuated by penalties, none of which resulted in a score. The visitors played the more expansive rugby, and there were some good inter-passing moves.

: Adam Morrison enjoyed a ten minute break from back row action courtesy of the Referee's yellow card, but the home side could not capitalise on Gosforth's depleted numbers, and, the visitor's more enterprising rugby put Ashington under pressure. Dan Tucker was attacking the Ashington line-out with success and Gosforth's lighter forwards looked fitter and more mobile.

However, it was Ashington, who struck first, with a couple of minutes of kicking off the second half, their fly-half, Phillips, a well-balanced runner, jinked through the Gosforth defence to cross for a try to make it 5 - 0 , his conversion kick attempt failed.

Gosforth brought on some fresh legs, newcomer Sengi for centre Dufrois, and Ben Bell for Buxton in the second row.

Winger, Matt Steel, was looking to celebrate his hundredth appearance with a try, and he came very close with a typically rugged run close to the touch-line, Ashington's defenders bundling him into touch, thwarting his efforts.

Aidan Marsh, hard working as always drove forward, the ball was worked along the line and chunky winger Jurowski powered over for a vital try 5 -5

Full back Johnson, always looking for a break was stopped in his tracks by a high looking tackle. Stu Campbell had an unsuccessful long range penalty kick attempt.

Then it was that man Mike Jurowski, who made a darting run, flipped up a pass to Matt Holmes, who used his height and long armed telescopic reach to score a try to nudge the visitors ahead by 5 - 5 .

Within a couple of minutes a clever reverse pass to fly-half Stu Campbell caught the Ashington defence flat footed, and he darted over for a try to make it 15 -5 .

Ashington played with a lot of pride and commitment, cranking up the pace and aggression, as their bigger pack and its members drove and drove, but the Gosforth eight held firm and in a game that had been characterised by penalties, the discipline of frustrated players on both sides was maintained until the final whistle blew at the end of a long second half.

Congratulations to Matt Steel, here's to the next one hundred, and let's hope that young prop Adam Westgarth, just starting his Gosforth First Team career, will achieve that figure in the years to come.

On a final note, the sun shone warmly and reflected brightly off linesman John Short's

"Asian Marauders" shirt, will we see it again next week at Druid Park, when we entertain Sunderland?

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching