Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Rugged defence forces Kenilworth to go South
Your News Rugged defence forces Kenilworth to go South

Rugged defence forces Kenilworth to go South.

Kenilworth visited South Leicester’s Welford Road ground on a fine and sunny day with an obvious desire to take the game to the hosts. They came out of the blocks with a fierce determination and could have been six points clear in the first five minutes had Russell Clarke converted two long range penalties. Further misfortune then occurred when centre James Hersey had to retire with a leg injury.

After absorbing further punishment, especially at the scrum and line out and the loss of Glyn Devaney to injury South actually woke up and put together their first concerted series of attacks. Kenilworth went off their feet at a ruck, the penalty was awarded and Mark Lord stroked the ball in between the posts to take South into a 3-0 lead against the run of play.

South were beginning to now get into the game with some fine interaction between the pack with Rob Sands, Mike March and Chris Bale all prominent. In the 30th minute South moved out of defence transferring the ball to full back Nick Griffin

who surged along the right touchline beating defenders at will with a combination of several hand offs, a bout of juggling and a final surge of pace to go over the line.

Rich Ife took the conversion as normal kicker Mark Lord was being treated for an injury. Unfortunately the conversion failed.

Nearing half time Kenilworth’s Tak Norton was yellow carded for foul play, Mark Lord fell short with the penalty, but Kenilworth were forced to take the ball over their own line under severe pressure from the South outside backs. A 5 metre scrum was awarded and South had an ideal situation to score. Unfortunately, it came to nothing as the Kenilworth 8 responded fiercely and the ball was cleared.

Half Time: South Leicester 8 Kenilworth 0.

The South team came out after another fierce half time team talk from Head coach Ian “Dosser” Smith, a different beast. A series of concerted forward drives with Jim Matthews, Sam Badham and Andy Harris all involved lead to a Mark Lord outside break feeding Rich Ife who delivered the scoring pass to Matt Thomas who outpaced the Kenilworth defence to go over left of the posts. Mark Lord converted to take the score onto 15-0.

By the hour, South were in the ascendancy in all facets of the game as Kenilworth’s heads went down, a yellow card was awarded to their replacement and again Mark Lord converted the penalty to take the score onto 18-0.

Ash Stevens, John Hemsley and Dom Green were introduced into the game to provide some fresh legs on such a hot day, but they were all caught unawares as Kenilworth took a quick penalty to score , as it turned out, their only try through Luke Brown. Russell Clarke added the conversion. Score 18-7.

South were stung into action direct from the kick off as they gathered the ball with Mike March doing the running to offload to Rich Ife who went in right of the posts.

Mark Lord converted to take the final score to 25-7 in South’s favour.

Although South dominated the second half in terms of both possession and scoring chances it was the teams defence throughout the game (especially in the first half when they were under considerable pressure) that ultimately won the game.

Men of the Match: Rob Sands and Nick Griffin.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching