Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Old Rishworthians u15's 7 - 26 Thornensians u15's
Your News Old Rishworthians u15's 7 - 26 Thornensians u15's

Match report Sunday 14th September

This was the U15's first match of the season with a strong squad turnout and quite a few new faces in the team some of whom were playing their first ever game of Rugby Union.

Thornensians started the match strongly and took the game to Rish from the start. Despite some good tackling by Mansell and the new full-back, Mathieson, the visitors forced their way over for an early try which was well converted from out wide.

Despite this early setback, Rish rallied and had long spells in the first half where they played the better rugby and showed a level of organisation and team-work that we rarely saw last season. Rish worked very well at the breakdown and their rucking and mauling worked well throughout. They held their own in the set pieces against a much bigger set of forwards and the backs showed some promising signs when they had the ball in hand. However, a couple of lapses in concentration and some strong running by Thornensians saw the away team go in at half time 19 - 0 to the better having scored three tries, two of which were converted.

Half time Rishworthians 0 - 19 Thornensians

The second half started as the first with the visitors coming out strongly but with Rish managing to contain them well in the first five minutes and then take the offensive. Rish made one change at half time with Hope-Collins coming off for Higginbottom.

A bruising second half saw Rish having to make a number of injury substitutions with the excellent Mathieson coming off with a nasty ankle injury to be replaced by the hard tackling Broadbent. Further injures to Fowles and Porrit, who had an excellent first half, gave Oates a game and saw Hope-Collins back on the field in the unfamiliar wing position.

Even with these changes, Rish played well throughout the second half with Seleznev, Brierley and Collett having strong games amongst the forwards and Jones, Watkins and Kelly combining well in the backs. A piece of good solo running by Thornensians No 9 saw the score creep up to 0 - 26 but continued pressure by Rish saw the opposition getting increasingly rattled by a home team that was matching them in most departments but just not managing to get points on the board.

Eventually Rish scored a try with Collett forcing his way over from 10 metres for his first try in a competitive match after some strong work by Seleznev. Kelly, who kicked well throughout, added the two points with a well-struck conversion.

Rish kept the pressure up with Fowles, back on the pitch after treatment, going over in the corner only to have the try disallowed for an earlier infringement.

Full time Rishworthians 7 - 26 Thornensians

Don't be fooled by the scoreline - this was a promising start for a team that displayed plenty of good points to build on throughout the season. Man of the match was awarded to Harry Collett.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching