Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Kenilworth 58 - Old Laurentians 8
Your News Kenilworth 58 - Old Laurentians 8

Kenilworth eased past their Warwickshire Cup Quarter-Final opponents to book an encounter on March 5th with Broadstreet, who have beaten them in the last two finals. Although both sides were missing several key players, the gulf between the first and third tiers of Midlands rugby was evident.

Old Laurentians opened brightly, but it was Kenilworth who drew first blood. After Chris Brown had carved open the defence, Chris Collett was in support to cross for a try, to which Brown added the extras. The ex - Nuneaton and Broadstreet fly-half was in sparkling form, and again shredded the defence before touching down for a converted try. The main threat from the visitors came in the form of their outside centre and right winger, who made promising breaks. Their pack was distinctly second best, yielding several against the head. The men from Rugby were rewarded with a penalty goal on 21 minutes, when referee Rose spotted someone coming in from the side. Te remainder of he half was one-way traffic. First, Jez Non finished a move started by Andy Whitehall and carried on by James Hersey and Alex Taylor. Whitehall then superbly drew his man before passing to Dave Clements, who scampered in at the corner. The final score was a converted Ian Phillips try, after Dan Crandon had secured the ball from a maul.

With the added aid of a stiff breeze, Kenilworth were now even more in control at the start of the second half; Chris Brown gaining territory by a mixture of of astute kicks and eye-catching breaks, one of he latter leading to a Whitehall try. A brief spell of pressure by OL's culminated in a push-over try after 10 minutes. The response was swift and clinical. Nick Collett surged clear before the ball was spun by Chris Brown, Taylor and Hersey to Noon, who recorded another unconverted try. Clements was next on the score-sheet, after a sweeping move, then Chris Brown, following a break by Gareth Renowden. The final try went to Hersey, who having controlled a difficult ball, shed Old Laurentians like Autumn leaves on his passage to the line.

Kenilworth:Whitehall, Clements, Hersey, Taylor, Noon, C. Brown, Clendinning-Fenton, N.Collett, Varney, C. Collett, Phillips, Careless, N. Smith, Nock, Crandon. Replacements (used): Renowden, L. Brown, Powell, Carrick.

Next Saturday (March 1st), Kenilworth return to league action, at home to Longton. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Blaydon Colts 22

Kenilworth Colts 13

The long trip to Tyneside for this Fifth-Round National Plate tie proved a journey too far for a gallant Kenilworth side (writes Bob Jones). Exhibiting superior team-work throughout, and leading at half-time, they eventually succumbed to a bigger, stronger outfit from the National League club.

The majority of the first period was played in Blaydon territory, with the Kenilworth pack soon getting the measure of their opponents, and securing ball that Tom Palmer and the threequarters found useful. Accompanied by strong surges by Matt Cooper, Ross Lowthian and Andy Bladon, this lead to several assaults on the home line. When the hosts managed to break the shackles, the defence was excellent. Reward came on 20 minutes, when Palmer slotted a penalty goal for an offence within the Blaydon 22.

The second half commenced as he first had ended. Thus, it was disappointing when, after just three minutes, an uncharacteristic gap appeared in the Ks defence, and allowed the Blaydon left-winger to escape for a try, which the fly-half converted to take he lead. This was short-lived, as Cooper smashed his way over for a unconverted try. Gradually, the superior height and bulk of the home squad began to tell, but it was their individual, rather than collective talent that was to the fore. They regained the lead with a penalty goal on the quarter-hour, after the Ks had failed to roll away. With a man yellow-carded, the visitors found the going extra-tough, especially against the home No 5 and No 8, both exceptionally large and strong young men, who both ran in tries, the second converted. Although the game had slipped frm their grasp, to their eternal credit, the boys from Glasshouse Lane, urged on by a substantial contingent of parents and camp followers, did not relent. With a few minutes left, a Palmer penalty to touch in the Blaydon 22, followed by secure lineout ball from Lewis Jones, and a forward drive, saw Lowthian touch down for he final score of the afternoon. As the clock ran down, yet another great Cooper run, which ended with him having to retire injured, was followed by one from Rhys Jones, but to no avail.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching