Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Blaydon continue pre season form
Your News Blaydon continue pre season form

Blaydon 24 Tynedale 5

After a comfortable win in the opener at Waterloo, Blaydon might have expected stiffer opposition from their neighbours who had also made a winning start, but surprisingly the threat never materialised. Tynedale did create some chances in the first half but from start to finish somehow contrived to drop or knock-on the bulk of their possession and for long spells simply could do nothing right.

Blaydon on the other hand, and in front of a bumper crowd, defended well, took their chances when they appeared, and with 4 tries to add to the 6 last week now sit proudly at the head of the table with maximum points.

The early stalemate was broken in the 10th minute when a Tynedale clearance was returned with interest, a knock-on went un-noticed and Martin Shaw with a neat side-step raced in for the opening score.

Tynedale came back strongly and really should have levelled but in the first of a whole series of comical errors made a mess of an attack allowing Andy Fenby to hack on and chase upfield for try No 2, converted by Andrew Baggett.

At this point Blaydon skipper Dave Guthrie was sin-binned and Tynedale sought to take instant advantage and a flowing move was finished off in great style by their winger Peter Cole, only for it to be nullified by a totally unneccessary forward pass.

The visitors finally got it right in the 5th minute of time added on when Jack Harrison sucessfully dribbled down the toughline, but there was still time for another Blaydon score through prop forward Robert Kalbraier after Chris Clark had charged down a Cole clearance.

With the score at 17-5 at the break it could still have been anyone's game, but just 24 seconds after the restart it was realistically all over when Ben Mercer scooted in for Blaydon's 4th and bonus point winning try, improved by Baggett.

The remainder of the second half, which lasted 54 minutes, was notable only for a yellow card for Tynedale's Ross Samson and a sequence of serious looking injuries. The stretcher twice made an appearance on the field but thankfully was not required.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching