Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Bristol Harlequins 29 - Yatton 19
Your News Bristol Harlequins 29 - Yatton 19

Yatton Scorers - Tries B Osborne, E Ryder, J Leech Cons N Raymond 2

Quins allowed to boss game in 2nd half.

With this weather delayed fixture being held on a three games International Saturday it was not surprising that the travelling Yatton XV felt the need for a couple more hard and seasoned players.

The ground was hard and dry, the sun bright and hot against the visitors during the first half. Yatton threatened from the beginning and breaking from a rolling maul, within the 22, Bill Osborne was through to touchdown at ten minutes.

But within five minutes a crucial missed tackle allowed Quins to ground the ball with a midfield break, the conversion giving them an edge.

Back up the park again swept Yatton forcing the issue in Quins 22. Ed Ryders quick thinking tap penalty and grounding under the posts with Nic Raymonds easy conversion handed the lead back to the proportionately young Yatton side.

Minutes later, at 25 minutes on the clock, wing Ben Coghlan gathered a clearance just outside his 22 cutting across and up the field at pace. Ollie Noble timed the pass to novice first teamer Jez Leech on the opposite wing who outpaced and ran around to create another easy conversion while scoring his debut try, bringing the score line to 7-19.

But shortly after, Yattons defence tried to play close quarter passing rugby in their own red zone. Luckily both gifted penalty conversion attempts for Quins failed, meanwhile the home side began to see that they would be allowed to develop their hard aggressive game in open play.

With five minutes to go before half-time the Quins team were barracked into tough action and an uncompromising driving into touch tackle, within feet of the metal barriers, caused the need for a replacement injury. Quins experienced heads decided it was OK to carry on because the player was off the pitch and took advantage of the visitors disruption to attack that wing scoring a try and again minutes later cutting through soft tackles making it 17-19 at halfway.

Three minutes after the turnaround wide awake and fired up Quins took the opportunity of a yawning overlap and to put themselves two points in front.

As Yattons backline struggled to find shape and the luck of the ball, the pack valiantly fought their own battle with Ollie Noble having an outstanding game as scrumhalf. Quins received lectures but no cards were issued. The less experienced Yatton side did well not to succumb to the home sides bullocking runs and to remain focused. One lapse on the seventieth minute allowed Quins attacking line to sale a dummy after splitting from a maul. Conversion of that try proved to be the final score as Yatton began to make inroads but tired legs and spilt ball gained no league points.

This Saturday Yattons 1st XV travel for a tough one against leaders Berry Hill. While the 2nds stay at home for Old Sulians and likewise the 3rds entertain Stothert & Pitt 2nds.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching