Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Yatton 17 - Bristol Harlequins 16
Your News Yatton 17 - Bristol Harlequins 16

Yatton Scorers - Tries G Clifford, C Harris Cons J Shorney 2 Pen J Shorney

‘Yatton squeeze past unlucky Quins’.

Yatton had the advantage of slope and a stiff chilled wind as Bristol Harlequins kicked off in their first round of the Bristol Combination Cup. Quins now playing two divisions below the home side Yatton showed no respect to this league position difference. The game started at a frantic pace with a late kick off against a blackening night sky. For Yatton it was their third game within a week having had two tough warmups, the last being a narrow defeat by Weston on Saturday in humid heat.

Within two minutes prop Gavin Clifford’s charge through, taken at pace beneath the posts, claimed him the first points of the new season. Jon Shorney slotted away the conversion.

But three minutes later Ian Lane grounded the ball from a maul for Quins in the slopes top corner and before the first ten minutes were up flanker Jay Wilkins strode through a sleepy defence to touchdown and take the lead for his visiting side.

Almost immediately stung Yatton were back down the field and Chris Harris copied Cliffords earlier move, touching down and giving Shorney another easy conversion.

Stalemate then developed with each side testing the opposition’s defences in a fast flowing game. Quins then had to contend with heavy sheeting rain into their faces during the second quarter and did well to keep the score line to 14-10 for halftime.

After the turnaround it was Yatton under the cosh of the wind and slope but the rain largely stayed off.

Within the first minute Chris Page brought Quins within one point as he landed his first penalty but Yatton held out until the fifty-fifth minute before he got his second penalty chance and this time the ball unluckily bounced back into play off an upright.

Quins then screwed Yatton into a series of trademark scrums in the bottom corner. But with no result. However at seventy minutes of play Quins got a break they had been looking for. Page put them in front once again as his penalty was adjudged to have dissected the posts at high altitude.

With four minutes left on the clock it was fly half Shorney who came to the home sides rescue when he calming fired his long distance penalty kick up the slope, between the posts and into an ink black night sky.

This Saturday Yatton’s 2nd XV have their serious preseason warmup

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching