Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Olney 35 - Bletchley 26
Your News Olney 35 - Bletchley 26

Olney welcomed Bletchley on what had to be the coldest day of the season to date expecting nothing more than a long hard game of rugby against the local rivals, particularly as Olney won 19-20 early in the season away at Manor Fields.

The game began with a high tempo and only minutes in Olneys flanker, John Robinson went over for the first try of the afternoon, which James Hawken converted giving Olney the early lead 7-0. The Bletchley side however tried to stamp their mark on the game by repeatedly sending their inside centre on some strong breaks, sliding through tackles midfield leaving Olneys Full Back, Jordan Letts to work hard in defence. The Bletchley side, showing some desperation for possession gave away silly penalties by going over the top at rucks consistently and with James Hawken kicking from just inside the half way mark, it was pleasing to see the kick go straight through the uprights extending the lead to 10-0.

Bletchley were however able to get on the score board after Olney were penalised for crossing, and for being off side at a ruck bringing the score closer 10-6, before James Hawken stretched Olneys lead to 13-6 after another penalty was awarded after a Bletchley player made a dangerous tackle on Olneys Fly half, Mark Marwood. With both teams having short stints in attack before loosing possession, the continued persistence from the visitors paid off as they broke through some weak defence from the home side with the Flanker scoring a try, which was then converted by the Fly Half bringing the score close to 13-11. Olney were then awarded another penalty which was missed on this occasion, but with John Robinson out in the three quarters he was in for his second try of the afternoon, which was converted by James Hawken giving Olney the 20-11 lead at half time.

Olney made a couple of substitutions as Ollie Brackenbury was replaced by Dave Rainbow after a good performance in the front row, and Scrum Half, Richard James came off with a slight injury, therefore James Hawken moved to scrum half and Jake Chalmers went onto the Wing with James Hannah moving into the Centre. This saw the forwards step up a gear with Hawken bossing them and saw them dominate the Bletchley particularly in the scrums.

With both teams converting another penalty each taking the score line to 23-14, it was pleasing for the Olney supporters to see James Hawken go over for a try, unfortunately not converted but extended the lead to 28-14. Bletchley however, never giving up for a second, deservedly scored their second try which the conversion was not successful as it re-bounded off the post taking the score to 28-19. John Robinson soon to be the highest try scorer in the Olney side, completed his hat trick which James Hawken converted giving Olney a more comfortable lead 35-19. With many supporters wanting to go in to thaw out from the bitter cold, the game continued......and with these two sides it always goes to the whistle so there was no surprise when the Bletchley side managed to score another try and convert it to bring the final score to 35-26. A true battle as always, though the Olney players can celebrate in doing the double over their local rivals. Though after every match there is plenty to reflect upon in preparation for Olneys next league fixture away at Maidenhead this Saturday. This coming Tuesday however is the first round of the Lewis Shield where Olney will welcome Buckingham

Tries; John Robinson x3, James Hawken x1 Con; J Hawken x3 Pens; J Hawken x3

Man of the Match went to Adam Kelsall after a strong game at Hooker.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching