Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Amersham & Chiltern 41 - Olney 14
Your News Amersham & Chiltern 41 - Olney 14

The afternoon started well for the visiting supporters, who were provided with an excellent, hot lunch by the host club.

On the pitch Olney kicked off and contained the home side in their own 22 for most of the opening exchange. An infringement in a ruck by an Amersham forward was penalised and James Hawken was successful with the kick at goal to give Olney a 3 - 0 lead after 7 mins. Play continued to be interrupted by infringements, mainly in ruck situations.

Following their previous weeks lack lustre performance, 6 3 win away to High Wycombe, the home side began to put Olney under pressure in the set pieces, both in the scrum and by the activity of their tall lock forward dominating the lines out. Olney No.8, Jack Sutton made a couple of good breaks off the scrum but there was a lack of support to capitalise on them.

Another infringement on the ground gave a penalty in Amershams favour; the full back knocked it over to level the scores after 15 mins. Following the restart Olney were penalised for offside on their 10 m. line, another ruck followed and Olney won the ball that went out to Hawkes who made a break which fizzled out with a knock on. The Amersham back row linked with their threequarters running the ball into Olneys 22. At the breakdown Olney lock, Steve Harrison was penalised for joining the maul from the side and yellow carded. Amersham took the penalty short and scored a try that they converted to take the lead. Olney attacked from the restart but Amersham gained the ball and attempted to run it out of defence. The Olney forwards defended the move and managed to steal the ball only to be penalised for crossing? A doubtful decision! This was not spectators football, Amersham were getting a lot of ball, but at this stage wasting it with aimless kicking. Fortunately for Olney who were not making their tackles count.

Mo Ormisher made a good break but again there was no one up quickly to support. The Amersham side looked threatening but continued to waste good ball. Mark Marwood made ground on the short side following a scrum and at the breakdown Amersham were penalised for going over the top Hawkes was again successful from 26m. and halfway in from touch.

At a line out on the Amersham 10m. line, Olney failed to throw straight and the home side opted for the scrum, they won the ball and moved it along the line for the right wing to go over in the corner. Not converted. 30 mins. into the first half, score 15 6.

The restart culminated in a ruck in the Amersham half and Olney were penalised for handling on the floor. Amersham ran the ball and poor tackling by the visitors resulted in another Amersham try, this time under the posts and duly converted. The kick to restart enabled Olney to get into the home sides territory and another crossing offence (I think this was the refs favourite) gave the visitors a penalty opportunity that Hawkes didnt miss. In the closing minutes of the fist half the Amersham outside half kicked long to the corner the ball was chased down by the winger, beating Olneys cover and giving the home side another unconverted try. Half time score Amersham 27, Olney 9

Second half and Olney were pushed back following Amershams kick off, they were saved further punishment when Amershams centre knocked on with the line undefended. A concerted effort by the home pack finally gave them a touch down near the posts which was converted.

In the final 20 mins. Olney began to put some phases of play together and came near to scoring in both corners. Amersham substituted their No 2 but the replacement was soon off the field again being yellow carded for another infringement in the loose. Keeping play in Amershams 22, Olney were rewarded with a try Mark Marwood cutting through the Amersham threes to touch down under the posts. Hawkes took a drop goal attempt to save time and connected with the woodwork, no conversion. Amersham lost another player, yellow carded, and down to 13 kicked long to get the ball out of their half. The second half ended the way the first half did, the ball was chased and touched down by the home side and converted.

Final Score Amersham 41 Olney 14.

To sum this game up Olney suffered from too many changes due replacements caused by late drop outs.

for work to be done on first up tackling and backing up.

The back row performance suffered when the No.8 had to move up to lock and the opposition had more freedom for their back row to link with the back line.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching