Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Pershore 14 - Earlsdon 12
Your News Pershore 14 - Earlsdon 12

It was testament to Pershore and what goes on behind the scenes by

volunteers at any amatuer sports club that Saturdays game went ahead.

Due to the snow and freezing conditions the only game of league Rugby,

including the premiership, to go ahead in the whole of the midlands was

at Piddle Park. However, if people travelled from far and wide to

witness this game they would have probably have wished they'd stayed

indoors instead of braving the elements.

The visitors to Piddle Park were bottom of the table Earlsdon RFC from

Coventry. A young side who were bouyed by a victory against fellow

relegation battlers Droitwich, two weeks ago certainly started with

intent. Unfortunately for them the Pershore pack took them to pieces in

the scrum, meaning they would have to spread the ball wide to get any

impetus. The cold, and wet conditions, made this difficult and both

teams struggled to string phases together as passes were mis-timed,

knocked on or simply went to nobody at all. Pershores big forwards made

in roads with the ball in hand, particularly Marcus Whyte and Martin

Hope. Flanker Chris Copson,making his first start of the season and

captain Alex Peel also shared the workload, but brave defence from

Earlsdon meant they never really got close to the line. Earlsdon opened

the scoring after twenty minutes. Awarded a penalty just outside the

Pershore 22 the Piddle Parkers were expecting the Earlsdon Fly Half to

go for posts and make amends for an earlier miss. However with the

Pershore defenders lazily retreating they ran the ball wide for the left

winger to score in the corner. The extras were added to give the

visitors a 7-0 lead. Pershores only chance of scoring was a penalty

attempt. Fly half Lewis Dolphin could be heard apologising to his team

mates almost as soon as he struck the ball as his kick went woefully

wide. Pershore had a tough five minutes before half time, Chris Copson's

ever problematic knees forced him off to be replaced by Jamie Mellelio.

A reshuffle in the pack saw captain Peel move from the front to the back

row to make way for Mellalio at Prop. Soon after Earlsdon attacked in

broken play and were starting to look dangerous in Pershore territory

when Martin Hope halted the attack with a late tackle. He was duly sent

to the sin bin and the half time whistle blew.

The second half started slightly brighter for Pershore. They were given

a penalty underneath the posts but instead of taking the 3 points on

offer they decided to run. Scrum half James Bishop popped to Alex Peel

who attacked at Earlsdons forwards. He was isolated and was penalised

for holding on giving the visitors the chance to clear their lines. Just

before Hope made his return Pershore were further behind. They were

trying to run the ball from their own try line. Centre Matt Cyphus gave

a poor pass to Will Woodhouse who in turn shipped a pass which did not

even reach winger Matt Harwood. The first to react was the Earlsdon

centre who collected the ball and scored in the corner. The conversion

was missed and the score was 12-0. With 20 minutes left Pershore finally

started to string some phases together and the pack really made their

mark on game. After a lineout and a series of pick and drives from the

base of the ruck, prolific scoring second row Marcus Whyte crashed over.

Dolphin added the extras and Pershore were certainly back in the game at

12-7. Pershore continued to control the game and almost drew level when

Martin Hope crashed over after another series of pick and drives.

However the referee said that he was held up so the home side were

awarded a scrum 5 metres out. Pershore drove the scrum forward, number 8

hope picked the ball up broke the first tackle from the flanker and

dived over the white wash. Dolphin knew the pressure was on with the

kick but he kept his nerve and kicked the ball straight between the

posts. The home side showed grit and determination to snatch the win and

to be fair the tension in the final 15 minutes probably made up for the

overall lack of quality. Pershore have a tough away trip next week when

they visit Spartans. Kick off 2.15pm

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching