Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Olney 7 - Maidenhead 35
Your News Olney 7 - Maidenhead 35

Olney welcomed Maidenhead back after their relegation at the end of last season, expecting nothing more than a tough fixture and with both sides missing players it was down to those available on the day to provide the performance, and rugby is a team sport despite some games highlighting individuals performances.

It was Maidenhead who looked bright from the whistle and took Olney by surprise scoring an easy try under the posts from a back row player which was converted giving them the 0-7 advantage. The game then seemed fairly balanced with both sides making some great runs and testing the others defence repeatedly. Some good line outs from the home side gave their backs a platform to work off, though the Maidenhead back line tackled well when necessary. Olney were awarded several penalties for the visitors repeatedly playing off their feet at rucks and with two missed conversions then used territory as an advantage. Maidenhead were finally punished by losing a player to a yellow card for the lack of discipline in this area. Olney failed to use this one man advantage in their favour as Maidenhead tightened their defence. The visitors managed to extend their lead to 0-13 before the half time whistle after converting two penalties in front of the posts as Olney players were off side.

Olney lost a player to a yellow card early into the second half, and Maidenhead used this to their advantage as they scored a couple of tries out wide and despite not converting they looked like they had found their legs extending the lead to 0-23 putting the pressure on Olney. Olney made a couple of substitutions with Captain, Chris Parnham being replaced by Ian Fletcher in the backs and Dave Rainbow being replaced by Phil Berry in the front row. With both sides keeping the game flowing well with some attacking spells, it was the visitors who increased their score once more from a high ball being allowed to bounce in the twenty-two before being picked up and scoring an easy try again out wide which was converted taking the score to 0-30, a credit to the visitors.

Though after much pressure by the Olney forwards, their hard work was finally rewarded by getting up to the line allowing I Fletcher over for Olney to score a try, and fly half, Mark Marwood converted taking the score to 7-30. Unfortunately for Olney the score did not remain here, as they allowed the visitors to again break through their defence to finish and win the game with another unconverted try 7-35 gaining them a bonus point for scoring five tries to Olneys one.

This result still leaves Olney top of the league by a point, and with plenty to reflect upon in training after this performance in preparation to their long away trip to Wimbourne this coming Saturday.

Tries; I Fletcher

Con; M Marwood

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching