Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Minchinhampton 22 - Stroud Nomads 29
Your News Minchinhampton 22 - Stroud Nomads 29

Minchinhampton fielded a mixture of first and second team players in what was the first meeting between these two sides in a number of years. The game started at a frantic pace with Stroud immediately showing their intent to play attacking rugby. After a strong scrum and some sloppy tackling by the Hampton defence the Nomads went over for the opening score.

Hampton rallied back but again defensive errors proved costly as the Stroud backs ran in another well worked try. Minchís ill discipline continued to cost them with the referee penalising them at every opportunity and Stroudís fly-half stepped up to slot a penalty and give the visitors a 17 point lead.

Finally the home team got going, Chris Brain putting in many a strong tackle to disrupt the Stroud possession. After a great touch find by Tom Horrell, Dan Wood claimed the lineout and this gave the Minch backs their first opportunity to attack. Veteran fly half Clive Eagles placed a nonchalant chip over the beleaguered defence and centre Tony Richmond picked up the loose ball for a well deserved try. Shortly after Stroud were penalised for using hands in the scrum and Horrell stepped up to slot the three points before the referee called time on a breathtaking first half.

The second half started as the first had finished, Hampton looking to play the game in the oppositionís half. The lively Chris Marais picked up from the back of the scrum and broke through the defence where Chris Brookman was on hand to take the ball up to the try line. Desperate defence stopped him just short but debutant Dan Heaps was there to score his first try and Horrell added the conversion.

Minch continued to give themselves problems; silly mistakes and infringements led to Stroud scoring two easy penalties from in front of the posts. With 15 minutes left on the clock Hampton attacked from deep, centre Adam Tanner charged up field and fed the ball to Dan Heaps for his second try and putting the home team within a point of tying the game. Despite continued pressure Minchís naivety and ill discipline ultimately lost them the game after Stroud slotted two more simple penalties and there was simply not enough time on the clock for any response. A cracking game of Rugby but Hampton will feel on another day the result could have been very different.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching