Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Kowloon taste success over Tradition Valley
Your News Kowloon taste success over Tradition Valley

Tradition Valley made the trip over to the dark side to meet Altus Kowloon on match week 3 and came away with a 29-12, well earned result.

This was a significant victory for the Valley boys after their loss to Newedge Club last week, a team Kowloon had beaten in week one.

From the off it was evident Valley were the hungrier team, though Kowloon battled valiantly. There was a fine tempo to the match, but Kowloon showed hesitancy and lacked clear direction.

Valley were first across the line on 14 minutes with a well-taken try out wide taking advantage of some very poor tackling from Kowloon. The conversion was missed.

Another try went begging five minutes later with a knock on just short of the try line much to Kowloons relief and the exasperation of Valley Coach Brian Higgins.

Kowloon finally got into the game with some good phases and slick-passing resulting in a try in the corner from Ex Sale Sharks man David Tait. The conversion from the touchline was good and suddenly, with minimal possession, Kowloon were ahead 7-5. They stretched their lead 9 minutes later; a chip through was gathered by pocket battleship Johnny Rees who fed Rich Bolton to score. The normally unflappable Chris McAdam missed the conversion and that was the end of Kowloons contribution to the score-line.

Just before half time, and in the space of 3 minutes, Valley were reduced to 13 men, the first offence was stamping, quickly followed by a walk to the bin for not rolling away, a perennial problem this season so far and one which the referees are struggling to police.

On the restart, and despite the numerical advantage, Kowloon failed to capitalize and with only 13 men it was Valley who managed to add another three points from a penalty infringement.

A ray of hope flickered for Kowloon when they crossed the line in the 50th minute, however, referee Tobi Lothian adjudged a forward pass and that was effectively Kowloons last significant play.

Kowloon were squeezed out of the match in the last 25 minutes, scarcely getting a sniff at the ball, and when they did get hands on it, poor kicking often gave possession right back.

During this last period Valley scored three converted tries and had a further one disallowed, a dubious foot in touch decision that had the vociferous Valley supporters livid, but in the end it was irrelevant as Kowloon had nothing left to give. On the day, Valley were simply hungrier, better and fitter, and the more mature article.

Altus Kowloon Club Captain, Matt Stockdale summed up a bad day at the office saying: We didnt start well, but got a grip eventually but self destructed in the last 20 minutes, we didnt get enough ball to play with so credit to Valley.

In the end it was an easy victory for Tradition Valley, but the expansive style of play Altus Kowloon are attempting to play bodes well for their season, when it all comes right.

Saturday 16th October

G4S Division 1

Tradition Valley Red v Altus Kowloon 29-12

Amadeus Causeway Bay v Tradition Valley Blacks 49-14

Newedge Club v Leighton Asia HKCC 32-13

Newedge Club Drags v DeA Tigers 10-16

G4S Division 2

Newedge Club Scorps v HKCC Exiles 7-17

Tradition Valley Mustangs v Altus Kowloon II 0-37

Nomads v DeA Tigers II 23-12


join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching