Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Altus Kowloon Start Hong Kong Season With Shock Win
Your News Altus Kowloon Start Hong Kong Season With Shock Win

Altus Kowloons Fly Half Chris McAdam was in imperious form contributing 4 penalties and a conversion that was enough to squeeze out defending G4S Grand Champions Newedge Club 19 -13 at Kings Park on Saturday.

It may be that a Joe Shaw inspired Altus Kowloon, can shake up the cozy duopoly that exists at the elite level in Hong Kong but after Saturdays game he knows there is work to do before he can clear a space in the cabinet for a long awaited trophy.

Season openers can be thrilling or tentative, this one was mostly the latter, as both teams sought to probe for weaknesses. Newedge club consistently dominated the Kowloon scrummage while Altus Kowloon found the chink in Clubs armour an apparent willingness to concede easy penalties.

With three minutes played, Referee Toby Lothian blew up for a penalty in front of the posts after some concerted pressure from Kowloon and up stepped McAdam to calmly open his account for the season.

With ten minutes gone, Kowloon were awarded another penalty in an almost identical place, this time, the tackled player failing to release and the ensuing kick proved academic for McAdam.

After a period of scrappy mid-field play Club closed the gap to 3 points with a well-taken penalty, however, two other opportunities came McAdams way and he made sure of the points taking the score out to 12-3 just before half time.

On 35 minutes, club were down to 14 men despite Lothians had warning to both teams about opinion givers, a practice referee manager Bernie Finkelstein is determined to stamp out in the local game.

The first try of the game came shortly after the restart when Kowloon fullback, Tom McColl, charged through a stuttering defence and touched down. The Club coach will no doubt have something to say to his team about the 4 missed tackles that led to the try, and in the end McAdam popped over the conversion to take a 19-3 lead into the final quarter

Club clawed back one penalty, before; with the game in injury time, they put together their first good multi phase passage of play that saw a reward in the corner.

The conversion was missed and referee Tobi Lothian blew the whistle to end the game. Altus Kowloon 19, Newedge Club 13.

In the end there wasnt much between the two teams, and no doubt both will improve as the season progresses.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching