Wallabies legend George Smith and Toulon help Queensland flood victims
Wallabies legend George Smith, supported by Australian Rugby Union, has offered an exclusive “Money Can’t Buy Rugby Experience” to help support the Queensland Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal.
The “Money Can’t Buy Rugby Experience”, which will be auctioned off via Grays Online, includes:
· 2 return business class airfares to France;
· 5 nights accommodation in Toulon;
· Exclusive dinner with 5 world renowned international Rugby greats currently playing at RC Toulon – George Smith. Johnny Wilkinson, Felipe Contemponi, Carl Hayman and Joe Van Niekerk;
· Sideline access tickets to Toulon v Stade Francais Top 14 match at Stade Mayol, Toulon on August 1, 2011;
· VIP All access Passes to dressing room and post-match function;
· Attend the Captain's Run as a guest of George Smith the day before the match;
· A signed game jersey from Toulon v Stade Francais match;
· A signed game jersey from a Toulon Heineken Cup match;
· A Toulon merchandise pack; and
· A signed Wallabies jersey.
Smith said: "Being across the other side of the world, knowing what’s been happening at home, and having a number of Australians here at Toulon, it has been a talking point around our squad for the last couple of weeks.
"It has been hard to be this far away but I hope in being able to pull this together we can make a small contribution to those needing assistance in Queensland.
"Other Australian sportsmen overseas have been working hard, and it’s inspiring to see what the likes of Andrew Bogut and Tim Cahill have done to help.
"It’s also great to see Rugby in general get behind the relief efforts.
"I looked at some of the well-known international faces in our Toulon team and in approaching them to come to a dinner as part of the package, they didn’t hesitate. They wanted to participate.
"The Toulon club, in allowing the access they have as we put together the components of the auction, have also been great.
"Being here with other Australians in Matt Henjak, Mafi Kefu and Fotu Auelua, we just wanted to help in some way."
The auction will kick off at Midday on Friday 4 February and close at 10pm on Sunday 6 March with all money raised going to the QLD Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal.
Since the devastating floods hit Queensland in early January the Rugby family has rallied in support of those effected.
The ARU has donated $50,000 and is working with SANZAR and the five Australian franchise teams on other projects and initiatives to help raise funds for the appeal.
Qantas Wallabies and Queensland Reds players Anthony and Saia Faingaa have announced they will donate their first Super Rugby game match payments to the flood relief appeal.
Several Reds players spent time at council depots around Brisbane helping to fill and distribute sandbags during the Brisbane floods while the Reds medical staff gave up their weekend following the floods in Brisbane to offer free medical assistance at Ballymore to those injured by the floods.
Qantas Wallaby and Western Force star James O’Connor has also done his bit to help raise funds putting his historic match winning boots from the Wallabies victory of New Zealand in Hong Kong up for auction.