Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Rishworthian's U17 have success at Wharfedale
Your News Rishworthian's U17 have success at Wharfedale

Rishworthian U17`s faced Wharfedale in their final league game of the Yorkshire Division 1 campaign. In almost perfect conditions at the picturesque Threshfield ground Rishworthians went into the game missing a number of players due to half term holidays. Several players were played out of position and perhaps was the reason for the stuttering start, although some credit must be extended to their hosts who came out of the blocks at a blistering pace.

After 9 minutes Wharfedale took a deserved lead, when the ball was forced over in the corner following good forward mauling by the well drilled Green machine pack. Cockroft slotted over a penalty for offside to reduce the arrears to 5-3 but further slack Rishworthian forward play allowed Wharfedale to again cross the whitewash for a converted try under the posts.

The Rishworth pack were slowly beginning to get into their rhythm and following a couple of pick and drives, Cockroft burst through the home defence drew the defender and slipped an inside pass for Christus Ferneyhough to touch down in the corner. Cockroft was narrowly wide with the conversion attempt to bring score to 12-8 to the Greens. 5 minutes later another well worked move saw Cockroft touch down for a try, his conversion attempt again just wide to put Rishworthian`s into the lead for the first time in the game. The lead didn't last long however, when with the final play of the half, a loose lineout throw was caught by the home flanker who charged through to touch down for an unconverted try leaving the half time score at 17-13.

Half Time Wharfedale 17 13 Rishworthians

A reshuffle of the pack and a stiff talking to at half time seemed to have the desired effect. A return to simple rugby started to create a bit more space and with 5 minutes of the second half gone, Tom Clough broke from within his own half, burst through a couple of tackles and outpaced the home defence to touchdown under the posts. Cockroft added the simple extras to put the visitors 20-17 ahead. 10 minutes later good handling down the backs created the overlap for speedy winger Alex Redfern to touchdown in the corner. Cockroft with an excellent conversion from wide out stretched the lead to 27 - 17.

Wharfedale weren`t quite finished and landed a penalty for offside to narrow the lead to 7 points and again jangle the Rishworthian nerves, and therefore perhaps this was the reason that Cockroft correctly elected to kick a late penalty to stretch the lead back to 10 points and safety.

Rishworthians will have to rely on results elsewhere to determine if they will participate in the National Tournament. If Doncaster win just one of their remaining two games they will take leap frog Rishworthians on points difference to claim the remaining National Cup place.

Man of Match was Luke Flanagan with an excellent all round display at Stand off, closely followed by winger Christus Ferneyhough who was back to his best after injury and illness and the ever creative scrum half Edward Cockroft who is starting get back to best form after injury.

Full Time Wharfedale 20 30 Old Rishworthians

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching