Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Club round up from Bishop Auckland
Your News Club round up from Bishop Auckland

This weekend saw the BARFU under 10s away to Westoe for their first game of the season. To say the teams play was outstanding would be an understatement as they played like they had never played before. The whole team who have trained all summer showed what they had learnt from the coaches and what they were capable of.

As soon as the whistle went for the start of the game Bishop dominated the game and were onto Westoe, Jack and Will were like little bulldozers ramming their way forward to gain possession. Liam was there waiting to collect any dispossesed ball to be quickly offloaded to Luke who soon passed out to Daniel who sprinted like he had never done before and straight to the tryline. The whole team were hungry for the ball but, were playing a more technical game, they were thinking about and looking for the passes to their team mates. Restart after restart and Westoe were no match for the powerful Bishop team as further tries from Luke, James and Daniel gave the team even more confidence. The game seemed to be played in Westoes' half each time Bishop stepped up their pace, they were winning the scrums and line outs as if they had something to prove.

Coach Peter just could not beleive what he was seeing they played that well, his team talk was as if he was a little lost for words he was that stunned and proud of them! The overall games ended 85v10 in Bishops favour.

What could be a better way to spend a Sunday morning than watching young enthusiastic rugby players giving their all in front of the cheering crowds.

Well done to the whole team and a big thank you to all the families that travelled.

Players of the week: Luke, Will, Liam, James, Jack and Daniel

Anyone interested in playing rugby and any age or level please contact Peter Gallone on 07825 521632 or visit our website

Vicky Redfearn 24 Oct 11

1sts Away to Wallsend

Wallsend 14 v Bishop Auckland 1st XV 15

Bishop were away to newly promoted Wallsend on a very hot Saturday afternoon. Bishop forwards were straight into the play with No 8 Michael Ross putting some big tackles in to cause a turnover for prop Danny ross to make a 15 metre carry to put Bishop back into the Wallsend half.

Fly half Tombling was linking well with inside centre Connor Smith who broke the gain line on a couple of occasions forcing Wallsend to concede a penalty which was missed. Wallsend were kicking well via their scrum half to put themselves into good field position and forcing Bishop into their 22 where Bishop conceded a penalty for being offside which they converted 3-0.Bishop were getting frustrated as they were working the ball through the forwards only to lose the hard ground they had made by conceding silly penalties. Wallsend then went on the offensive and ran the ball from their own 22 to score the first try with Bishop missing several tackles in the process 8-0.

Bishop were once again conceding far too many penalties and Wallsend put a further 3 points on the board from one of those penalties 11-0. Connor Smith was making some good breaks for Bishop and his offload was excellent. Smith chipped a little kick towards the try line which hit the post protector to be gathered by hooker Andrew Reily who scored the try under the posts which was converted by Tombling to take the half time score to 11-7 with Bishop now right back in the game.

The conditions were tough for the players with the heat being a major factor prop Danny Ross being replaced through injury at half time by Paul Brookes who had not played for the first team for some time. His lack of match time did not show and he brought a lot of calm and experience to the pack and dominated his opposite number in the scrum. Flanker Paul ODonnell making his debut for Bishop was replaced by Gav Williams who made an instant impact. With Bishop 5 metres from the try line the ball was given to Williams to bulldoze his way through several players to score the try in the corner. 11-12.

Bishop once again had to defend and flanker Michael Beach once again showed his superior fitness and ability being tireless in the tackle and generally disrupting the Wallsend play. Scrum half Richardson was binned for killing the ball and from the penalty Wallsend took the lead 14-12.

Bishop were now slowing the ball down and frustrating Wallsend into conceding penalties. Tombling scored a long range effort to give Bishop the narrowest of leads 14-15. The final few minutes was a tense affair with Bishop defending well. Bishop almost scored a try at the death with second row Jack Tindle proving what an athlete he is by making a 70metre run only to be caught and pushed into touch deep into the Wallsend 22. With the pressure eased Bishop were able to win turn over ball and kick into touch to win the game 14-15.

A well-deserved win by Bishop in hot playing conditions has moved them into the top half of the table. With no game next week Bishop can regroup get their players fit for a tricky fixture the following week at Redcar.

Michael Hole 03 Oct 11

U14s: A Great Team Effort

Hartlepool Rovers U14s 7 - Bishop Auckland U14s 63

Bishop U14s travelled away to Hartlepool Rovers on a mild, damp morning.

The team lined up as follows:

Forwards: Jordie Barkus, George Tindle, Mathew Sage, Mathew Goundry, Chris Cruddace, Connor Witton, Nathan Mounter, Adam Brunskill.

Backs: Seb Hole(c), Jack Hamilton, Ben Curran, Luke Miller, Josh Love, Dom Vasey, Bradley Wilson Dando.

Subs: Liam OBrian, Craig Jackson, Will Bowden

Coach Dave Bartle decided to make a few positional changes this week and the scoreline speaks for itself. From the first kick off Bishop dominated the game. The first line out was won well and Seb Hole danced his way to the opposition 22, where Bishop were awarded a scrum. Picked up by no 8 Adam Brunskill the forwards rucked well for Chris Cruddace to explode over the line, unfortunately dropping the ball in the process! From the restart Jordie Barkus picked up well, off loaded to Brunskill who set the ball nicely for his forwards, Barkus coming back into the fray to pass to Cruddace who made no mistake this time. The restart went deep for Ben Curran to collect making 30 yards, whipped across for Josh Love to set the ball for the forwards, Brunskill picking and driving over for the second try. The back row pairing of Nathan Mounter and Connor Witton were superb, lightning fast off the scrum and tackling like men possessed, setting the ball once again for Brunskill to run in his second try. Again from the restart the ball was collected by Jack Hamilton who cleverly chipped the Hartlepool defence, storming a full 60 yards up the pitch to be put into touch by one of the Hartlepool props! The resultant line out is won by Hartlepool who clear only as far as Bradley Wilson Dando who dodges the defence, slips the ball out to Love to run in a 30 yard score.

Half Time: Hartlepool Rovers 0 Bishop Auckland 20

Bishop began the second half as they ended the first, in total control. The scrum was dominant, the back row took no prisoners and the backs were linking well, 2 minutes into the half and Brunskill had increased his try count to 3, muscling his way over. This was the tone of the whole of the second half. Excellent yardage made by the likes of the two Mathews (Sage and Goundry), great running lines from Dom Vasey and Luke Miller (who contributed a couple of nice conversions after taking over kicking duties)and accurate line out throwing from hooker George Tindle. Scrum half Hole touched down next after Mounter was stopped yards short.

Three subs were then introduced (a first for the U14s), Liam OBrian, Craig Jackson and Will Bowden all making their debuts in Bishop colours. The changes didnt upset the balance of play in way. Witton ran in the longest try of the match 70 yards, Bishop adding further points with tries from Hole & Brunskill and conversions from Miller, Hamilton and Wilson Dando. The only blemish of the game was a penalty try conceded by Bishop following several penalty infringements.

Full Time: Hartlepool Rovers 7 Bishop Auckland 63

All credit must go to the Hartlepool Rovers players who never let their heads drop in the face of the best display of rugby this team has produced. The forwards worked relentlessly, the backs passed the ball like seasoned veterans and all players contributed to a thumping victory. The team are beginning to gel nicely; participation from ALL players at training will only serve to improve the performances for the rest of the season.

MOTM Forwards: Connor Witton

MOTM Backs: Jack Hamilton

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching