Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Winlaton Vulcans 22 - Seghill Deputies 7
Your News Winlaton Vulcans 22 - Seghill Deputies 7

Captain Frazer Hill took the Deputies over to Winlaton for what may be their final game of the season.

Seghill started brightly, and Dan Slater narrowly missed a penalty which would have given Seghill an early lead. But, moments later, Winlaton were penalised again. Seghill opted to run the ball, Slater popping the ball to Davie Norris. The big second row powered forward, and when he was stopped, the pack were following up to drive the ball on, Andrew Stephenson reaching a long arm over the line to score. Slater stepped up to add the conversion.

A sloppy pass out to the wing proved to be Seghill's undoing, as Shaun Horsfall nipped in to steal the ball and run in for a try in the right corner.

Seghill piled on the pressure, forcing Winlaton to defend deep in their own 22, and they thought they had extended their lead when Norris dived over. Winlaton held the ball up and continued to defend strongly, keeping the deficit to just 2 points at the break.

Seghill lost the influential Norris at half time, with a shoulder injury, and rejigged the pack for the second half.

Immediately after the restart, the Seghill defence was none existant, and Gareth Henderson jinked his way through to score a very easy try.

Seghill then had to replace Gordon Bailey and Martin Scott, due to knee injuries. Winlaton also made changes, bringing on more experience players as they looked to take control of the game.

As the home side pushed forward, strong tackles from Stephenson, Gary Miller, James Shaw and Nick Heard looked to be holding them back. But when a gap appeared Joe Jenkins burst through, and althouth Liam Lonsdale made a super tackle, Jenkin's momentum carried him over, under the posts, leaving an easy conversion..

A Shane Moutrey try took Winlaton's tally to four as they secured victory in this very entertaining friendly, while Seghill's injuries continued when Man of the Match Gary Miller was forced off near the end with a neck injury.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching